Chapter 17

The house was packed with people as they arrived. Food sat on tables in the backyard, everyone was helping themselves to the food, and thanks to her maids and cooks, everything looked wonderful. She just hoped she could let them stay on as her employees.

Jessica was given several hugs and kisses as she walked outside, everyone wishing condolences. She knew most of the people to be her father's friends and associates. A few she did not know. Probably just there for the food.

She nodded at everyone, and headed inside, but was stopped by an older gentleman, that was an acquaintance of her and her father's.

"Miss Preston, I want you to know that Mr. Benhurst will do a fine job with your father's business. I know him from when your father first started out. I didn't know all the circumstances of the whole thing, but Mr. Benhurst was and is a fine man. You can trust him."

Jessica nodded at the man. "Thank you, Mr. Gren. I am sure he will do just fine."

"Yes, yes," he smiled, patted her shoulder and walked away.

Jessica turned back to the house when she heard, "Miss Preston?"

She turned back again. "Mr. Clearfield," she smiled.

"Please, call me Grant," he said, walking to her side. "I hope you don't mind that I came. I wanted to offer my sympathy. I had no idea that your father would take this so hard."

"Yes, me either. If I had known, I would never have let them take my father to jail."

Grant nodded, "Yes, I understand."

He stood uncomfortably for a moment, then Jessica hugged him. "Thank you, Grant, for all that you have done, and please help yourself to the food. There is plenty."

"It looks like you need to eat too," he frowned as he eyed her up and down, "you look unhealthy. Have you lost more weight? Are you even eating?"

"No she is not," Susan interrupted, "and yes, she has lost more weight. I think I will have to force feed her."

"When was the last time you ate?" Grant asked.

"Three days ago," Susan input.

"Jessica Preston," Grant frowned at her.

He pushed her into a chair by the door. "Susan go get her some food, and if she won't eat, I'll force feed her."

"No, you won't," Jessica protested.

"Watch me," he grinned.

Susan hurried away.

"I am not hungry," Jessica protested again. But then her stomach growled.

"Yeah, right Jessica. You are starving. You are nothing but skin and bones."

Susan came back moments later with two plates of food. Handing one to Jessica, and the other to Grant.

He smiled. "Thank you," he said and sat down by Jessica.

Jessica frowned at all the food on her plate. There was way too much, but she would take a few bites. So she did and set her fork down.

Grant glanced over at her. "You didn't eat enough."

"I did. And I can't eat that much. My stomach shrunk."

"I am sure it did. I'll make sure we save this food for you, you can eat it later."

Jessica nodded and yawned.

Susan appeared by them then.

"Susan when was the last time Jessica slept?" Grant asked.

"A few days ago."

"Go to bed Jessica," he demanded.

"I have guests."

"I don't care. Susan and I can take care of them. Go to bed."

"He's right Jessy, you need some sleep."

Jessica nodded finally. "Okay, but only for a little while."

She stood. She had to admit she was tired.

Grant stood with her, and took her plate of food and his, and handed them to Susan.

"I will walk you to your room," he offered.

He had taken a great liking to Jessica. She was so beautiful and strong-willed.

Jessica didn't protest. She was so tired, she wasn't sure she could walk up the stairs to her room.

Grant smiled and tucked his arm in hers, led her inside and to her room.

He opened her door for her, and she gasped.

He did also. Her swivel mirror was dripping with what looked like blood. A cryptic message read, "I'm watching you."

"Who did this Jessica?" Grant asked, concerned.

"Jonathan, my ex-boyfriend."

"Why?"

"Because I refused to marry him."

"Has he threatened you before?"

She nodded. "A few days ago. A death threat. The deputies have it."

"I am going to call the deputies right now. Do you have a spare room?"

"Yes, my father's."

"Good, go lay down, I will handle them."

He gently pushed her across the hallway.

"Grant, I need to talk to the deputies."

"No. Go rest."

She nodded wearily, giving in. "Okay," she said, and walked across the hall to her father's room, locking herself inside, collapsing onto the bed in a pool of tears.

Jessica didn't hear the deputies come into the house a few minutes later. She was sound asleep on her father's bed, fully clothed.