6 | Jokes

Stephen's POV

I mean, it isn't too late. I could run across the street and just never be seen again... Why did I say that? I didn't even think, I just blurted it out. I didn't even know that I felt that way about him. No, it was a mix-up and nothing more. I haven't gotten to know him for too long, so why am I attached?

"He's very charming when he's not on his period." I turn behind me and see Bruce with an umbrella. Oh, I never noticed it was raining. "Do you also think aloud?"

"Do you always eavesdrop?" I sassed. Bruce snickered as he adjusted his grip on the umbrella.

"Tony's rubbing off on you already I see," he chuckled. I could already hear Steve calling us to the van as James started the engine. My head turned to see Tony slightly leaning out of the van and smiling directly at me, almost as if he was telling me to hurry up. I smiled back instinctively. Bruce nudged me and gave that face.

"Weird turn of events. You almost killed him and now you guys have a thing."

"Who said we have a thing? Just reconciled, that's all. And I'm a straight man," I defended, putting my hands into the pockets of my jeans and rolling my eyes.

"Mhm, sure," he spoke with his eyes raised and walked away, allowing me to get soaked in the rain. Oh come on. I turned to Cloakey and saw it shake its nonexistent head at me and left for the van. This is how the Sorcerer Supreme gets treated nowadays, huh?

Suddenly, I heard metal clicks above my head as the drops stopped raining down my clothes. I looked up to see a floating iron umbrella head as I heard a voice come out of it.

"It's not good to be out in the rain, Doc." My eyes shifted from the umbrella to the van and saw Tony actioning for me to get in. I took a step forward and noticed the umbrella following my every move. How sweet of him.

Tony's POV

"You can get sick from the rain, y'know?" I reminded. He sighed with a grin as he grasped my hand to help him get in the van. I swear I felt my lungs giving out for a sec as he did that. For a moment I thought I was having another panic attack, but this... this felt different.

"Next stop, Scranton, Pennsylvania!" Bucky announced as he reversed out the parking lot and into the main highway. Bruce and Thor were at the back of the van chatting up a storm while Stephen and I stayed quiet. My eyes made quick glances at him to see if he was gonna do or say anything, but he didn't. I guess it's up to me to make this less awkward.

"So, you find me cute, huh?" I whispered to him, making sure the two buffoons in the back don't hear a single word. Stephen bounced his foot up and down for a few seconds before answering the question.

"I am straight, I swear," he responded, avoiding eye contact until he picked his head up and faced me. "Wait, didn't you say the same thing to me?"

WELL YEAH BUT I WAS JUST TRYING TO- I mean, it was so I looked clever? I don't know, it was in the moment.

"It was a joke, Stephen!" I explained as I crossed my legs and folded my hands together. "I was just messing with you because I thought you were messing with me! But you became all squirmy."

I could see a sense of relief fall over Stephen as he grinned and finally made eye contact.

"Yes, I was messing with you," he spoke in a tone that sounded more like a question than statement. I guess awkwardness averted then?

//8 pm//

Tony's POV

Bucky pulled up to an old motel at the side of the road and parked the car. Stephen awoke suddenly with his beautiful -I mean- blue-green eyes bulging out his skull. Before Stephen could say anything, Bucky motioned to the back of the van. I leaned over to see Bruce asleep on Thor's shoulder as he snored like a wild pig. Oh my God, I have to take a picture. I grab one of my phones and quickly snap a picture before they woke up. Bruce rubbed his eyes to see everyone staring at him and Thor.