Chapter One

It was finally time for Richard and me to go to our new school. I can't wait to start! All of the new people I can be friends with, it's so exciting. 

   As I threw on my favorite teal sweater and a grey jacket, someone knocked on my door.

   "Dearie, we're going to head out in ten minutes. I made some eggs so hurry before they get cold."

   "Got it Mom!" I responded while attempting to brush my curly brown hair. Giving up, I pulled it into a ponytail and headed downstairs. Lizzie was watching her favorite show in the living room, and Mason was most likely upstairs still asleep. As I sat down at the table, I felt my phone vibrate.

- - -

Disappointed(TM): I'll wait for you at the front. I hope you remembered to set your alarm.

Fashionista: Don't worry!!! I'm fine :D Thx for the worry thou

Disappointed(TM): Okay. Something seems off about this town. I can see why it was this one.

Disappointed(TM): The school looks haunted if I'm honest. It's so weird.

Fashionista: See you soon R

Disappointed(TM): See you then Rita.

- - -

   I knew he wasn't being superstitious this time. I felt the offness as well Hopefully it stops when we can team up with the necromancer person. I can't believe both Richard and my ancestors were friends with a guy that could see the dead. They could fight against bad spirits, help good ones, and heal people that needed it.

   Mom and Dad had told me about my heritage. Mine's a witch who worked with Richard's ancestor and the necromancer. The reason they told me we were moving was because our ancestors were from here. The necromancer's family had never left in order to keep people safe. My parents got a message somehow from the family saying they needed help. Something bad had happened in town, and they didn't know what was happening. Richard is the descendant of an exorcist which is great since we've known each other since birth . We're each others second family at this point. 

   Finishing up breakfast, I grabbed my backpack and headed to the car. 

   "Remember that you are walking home with RIchard this afternoon. Be careful. Find someone who knows the route if you can. Do you have your key?"

   "I've got it Mom. Besides, Richard can keep me safe, but I promise it won't come to that." We pulled up to an old looking two story building. A handful of people were walking around, greeting their friends after not seeing them in a while. Hopping out of the car, it didn't take to long to find the shivering ginger I was looking for. He gave a small wave as I reached him. 

   "We're heading to homeroom first thing to get our schedules. We both have Mr. Matthias."

   "Lead the way then. I assume you've memorized the school map," I teased trailing right behind him. Lots of people were hanging out in halls as the bell rang. That's when everyone split apart and headed off to their homerooms. Richard led me down one of the wings and into a classroom. A few people were already there. 

   "You two are Rita and Richard yes?" asked a tall man with salt and pepper hair. He adjusted his glasses slightly before pointing to two seats in the back of the room. "You can go sit next to Corvus . If you are confused by anything, feel free to ask." He headed over to his desk and began organizing papers. 

   We gave each other a look before heading to the seats our teacher assigned. A boy with shoulder length black hair sat at the corner seat, so I took the seat to his left, and Richard took the seat in front of him. Corvus was currently drawing in a sketchbook he had. 

   "Hello," I said with a little hesitation. He glanced up with a hint of confusion on his face. Dark blue eyes peered out from behind long bangs that covered them. 

   "Hi, I guess. You're Rita, right? I heard Mr. Matthias say something about it. Are you both new?" 

   "Yep, just moved over the break."

   "Sounds festive. I'm Corvus, nice to meet you."

   Richard spoke up next. "By any chance, do you walk home?"

   "Surprisingly, I do. No buses go by my house for this school, and I don't live to far away. Why do you ask?" he asked. 

   "Do you mind if we walk with you? If we live in the same direction that is. Our parents are worried something bad will happen," Richard said awkwardly.

   "Uhh, sure. I can meet you by the gate if you want. My friend isn't here today, so it'll just be us. I'm going to the Graveyard house," Corvus replied, mumbling the end.

   "Isn't that the house at the edge of town? The one surrounded by a cemetary?" asked Richard.

   "Yeah. My family has lived there for decades," he said with a nervous half smile.

   "That's so cool! We live in the neighborhood right next to it," I chimed in.

   The tardy bell finally rang for homeroom to begin. Mr. Matthias handed out schedules and just let us do whatever for the rest of homeroom. Richard and I began comparing schedules and found out we only shared one class together.

   I turned to Corvus who had been silent for the entire exchange. "What classes do you have?"

   He glanced at our schedules and then at his own. "We share English, I have gym with Richard, and I have French II with Rita."

   "At least we'll know somebody in a few classes," I giggled. The bell for our first hours rang soon after. He gave a small smile and a shy wave as we split up to get to our classes. As we walked away, I heard a faint whisper.

   "Help him." Looking around, I saw a pair of green eyes before they disappeared in the crowd of kids.

- - -

'He's beautiful my love'

 He has your eyes Alexander. Did you see the blue?'

'We love you our little Star-'

    Corvus bolted up from his bed. Another memory that wasn't his own. Or was it. Looking at his clock's blue light, he saw it was '3:16' in the morning. Knowing he wouldn't be getting anymore sleep, he stood up and headed over to his desk where his sketchbook laid open to a new page. Picking up a pencil, he let it fly across the paper.

   When his alarm rang for six o'clock, he nearly finished the picture. It was a man with white hair surrounded by ravens. Grabbing a light green pencil, Corvus colored in the eyes and a gem hanging on a necklace he wore. He felt a feeling of familiarity looking at the picture even though he had never seen a man similar to the drawing. The word 'Noctis' was scrawled in the top corner. Corvus then got out of his chair and headed to his closet to get ready for school.