Chapter Six

As I got up, I had a horrible feeling about the day ahead. I had no clue as to why I was feeling like this. Going through my morning routine, the feeling of unease wouldn't go away. When I met up with Rita and Miles, I saw I wasn't the only one. Rita was fidgeting around, and Miles was continuously tapping on his arm. It couldn't have been because of what we learned last night, right? When Corvus joined us sometime later, he looked worse than he had yesterday afternoon. His skin was paler if that was possible, and he was very shaky.

   "Are you okay?" Miles asked Corvus.

   "I didn't feel too good last night. I don't feel any better right now if I'm honest. And my gut is telling me that something is very wrong."

   "Same!" Rita accidentally shouted from her hyperactive nerves. "I  thought I was the only one. I really hope nothing bad happens today." She let out a groan as she put her hands against her face. "I totally just jinxed it, didn't I?"

   "Yes, you probably did. We are so screwed," I replied. We all headed to school, anxious of what was going to occur. Thankfully, the morning went by smoothly, except for the unease that only grew and grew. Finally, it was time for the only hour we all had together: fifth hour English. Miles was always the first one to class, followed by Rita, Corvus, and then me.

   When I walked in, it was easy to see Corvus hadn't changed at all through the day. He looked unbelievably tired and was discretely holding his stomach. It only took ten minutes for him to head to the bathroom with a green tint on his face. After he left, the all call turned on.

   "Attention, this is a lockdown. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is a lockdown, not a drill." As we all grouped into the designated hiding spot, the three of us grouped together. Other people grouped with their own friends, eerily quiet. Miles looked worried sick since Corvus wasn't there with us.

   "What do you think is going on?" Rita whispered almost inaudibly.

   "It could be anything for all we know," Miles mumbled back. It felt like forever before we were just sent home. Everyone headed out quickly, trying to find out what had just happened. Our trio, however, stayed behind.

   "What are you three still doing here?" asked Mrs. Daywell as she entered the room with Mr. Elemer and Ms. Rayleigh.

   "We wanted to wait for Corvus, but he hasn't come back. Can we look around campus for him?" I asked, worry coloring my voice. The teachers looked at each other before Ms. Rayleigh spoke up.

   "Mr. Elemer and I will go with you. One of you can go with each of us, and one of you can stay with Mrs. Daywell to see if he comes back here. I'll take Rita, Miles can stay here, and Richard can go with Elemer, if that's okay with you three?" Once we all nodded, she continued. "You two," she started, pointing at Richard and Mr. Elemer, "get the second floor. Rita and I will get the first. Kids, grab your phones, so you can communicate any important information." All three of us quickly did what she asked of us. I put it onto the group chat Rita had made the night prior and placed my phone in the pocket of my jeans as I followed Mr. Elemer out of the classroom. We headed to the door at the back of the hallway which led to a set of stairs.

   As we searched, the same gut feeling as earlier reared itself in full force as if it was screaming that something was wrong. The more we looked, the more I felt physically sick. All I could think was how everything hurt. Once I felt bile rise up, I squeaked out my problem and ran to the bathroom. Mr. Elemer stood outside as I emptied my stomach into the toilet. Everything felt too hot, too cold, too closed in, too open. After I calmed down, I cleaned up and headed out of the bathroom where my teacher was waiting.

   "Let's go to the roof and get you some fresh air, then we can decide what to do next, okay?" I only nodded in reply. We walked back down the hallway to the stairs and started up until we reached the floor to go outside to the roof. Pain shot through my body as I stared at the ajar doorway which nearly made me fall on my face if Mr. Elemer hadn't caught me. As we cautiously looked through the frame, all I could see was Corvus' limp body sprawled out on the ground with a few small drops of red in the snow. My vision started spotting before turning black as the intense pain hit me once again like a wave.

- - -

   The third victim was Miranda Sanderson, the "healer." She was the sister of the witch that led to the death of my friend. The whole Sanderson family was made up of witches and warlocks. Once her pathetic body went limp, I pulled a knife out of my pocket and carved a message into the wall I threw her body against. 'The Witch must burn.'

   A dark smile stayed on my face as I snuck back to my cabin. Game over Carter.

Ị̶̡̛̞̙̪̖͈͕̣̗͉͛́ ẇ̴͇͚͔̝̯̣͉̭̈̓̒͂̒͑͐̒͒͊̕i̵̧̧̨̻̱̘͔̦̼̩͚̻̲̱͋̑̓̀͜n̴̮̗̮̮͕̦̝͔̱̭̠͒̈́̉̽̏͘ͅ.̸̡͚͎̱͍͓̥͕̥͔̦̈́̈̈́̌͋͑̍̋̽͝