Chapter Three

When I left my house this morning, I didn't expect to see other kids standing at the neighborhood entrance. One was a girl with long curly hair that complimented her dark skin tone, and the other was a ginger haired boy. The girl noticed me first and waved. As I got closer, she spoke up.

   "Hi, I'm Rita. Who are you?" She turned to look at her partner for a second before turning back to me. "Oh! That's Richard by the way."

   "The name's Miles. I don't remember seeing you around before," I said with an awkward smile. "Are you new?"

   "Yep!" Rita exclaimed nodding her head. "We both moved here over break."

   "That's neat that you got to move with a friend. I hope you like it here so far. I should be go- staying actually. My friend and I walk to school together." I could feel my face heat up in embarrassment when Rita let out a small let out a small laugh.

   "You're waiting for Corvus, yes? Hayden said you were missing yesterday," Richard mentioned, "unless you're a different Miles."

   "That's me!" I replied with a smile before looking down the road. "I wonder where he is..." Said boy came into sight just seconds later. Corvus gave a small smile when he reached us, and we all began the walk to school.

   "It's nice to see you again Miles. What happened yesterday?" Corvus asked.

   "I got sick somehow. I can't believe that after a two week break I get sick the second day of school. Why couldn't I have gotten sick then?" I huffed.

   "Mrs. Daywell and Mrs. Celona haven't started much, so you don't have to worry about them," Corvus said with a small amused smile on his face.

   "Hold up! Aren't we in the same Algebra and World Geography class?" exclaimed Rita. "I remember you from class. I knew your face was familiar."

   I put my hand against my neck as a sheepish smile crossed my face. "Really? I didn't even realize it. I don't pay a whole lot of attention."

   "That's an overstatement," Corvus mumbled. I gave him a look of betrayal before turning back to the other two. We continued talking and getting to know each other the whole way to school. It was neat to have new people join our group, especially because it was Corvus alone who met them. It's great he made new friends. He needs to become more confident. For the past year he had been blocking everyone out. He even changed his appearance for some reason. Or something changed it for him. His eyes had become a lot darker than normal, his skin was paler, his hair was now down to his shoulders and he refused to show his neck, always wearing a scarf or turtle neck. It was like he had died, and it was... terrifying to say the least. In the ten years we've known each other, he never changed so much without an explanation or even changed all that much.

   Hopefully the change isn't permanent.

- - -

   They had been aching all day. It was a constant pain decorating my neck making everything hurt to do. It was easy to play off since I had a reputation of quiet kid who sits in the back of the class. The minute the bell rang to leave, I was out the door. It only took a few minutes for Rita, Richard, and Miles to join me at the front so we could each head home. Days like this, I loved the fact Mom and Dad worked a lot.

   Rita and Miles were getting along great with their alike personalities. Richard and I quietly walked alongside each other listening to the other two talk about their day. Time flew by, and before I knew it, we were at the neighborhood entrance.

   "See you tomorrow guys," called Rita as she and Richard broke off from our four person group. Miles turned to face me with a concerned look.

   "Are you okay? You've been rubbing your neck for a while," he finally stated.

   "Sore throat is all," I responded. A small voice in the back of my head tried to get me to tell him the truth, but I easily pushed it away.

   "Are you sure?"

   "I'm fine." No I'm not.

   He let out a sigh. "If you insist."

   Help me.

   "I'll see you tomorrow . Just remember you can tell me anything."

   Don't leave, it hurts. "I know. Bye," I responded as we headed our separate ways.

   Pulling open the slightly rusted gate, I followed the path leading to a two story house. Gravestones rested in rows upon rows around the long expanse of land with stone paths criss-crossing through them.

   Opening the front door, I headed upstairs to my room to put down my stuff before heading into the bathroom. Gingerly, I removed my scarf to reveal the dark purple bruises imbedded into my skin. They were a lot darker than normal which was worrying. Hopefully it didn't mean too much, but the feeling of growing dread said otherwise. Suddenly, all of my breath rushed out of my lungs causing me to fall to my knees. The squeezing feeling left after a few minutes, but the dread only strengthened. Something bad was coming, and it could not be stopped.

- - -

   They're obviously worried for me. They don't hide it well. They shouldn't anyway. They're all the reason he was killed. It's their fault. He was no witch. And I'm going to kill everyone in this god forsaken town to prove it. I will avenge him, no matter the cost.

   After all, his accusers didn't think about the cost when he was burned. Or when they picked him to die in the first place.