Chapter Eleven

"We need a plan," I stated after getting a hold of myself. "If the ghost isn't bluffing, which he probably isn't, we don't have much time. We need to get to town hall like now." Before either of the others could answer, Rita's mom burst into the room.

"Are you kids alright? I need you to come downstairs, so I can keep you three safe. I saw that thing's message. You kids are going to be alright. Your parents will sneak over as soon as they can," she said trying to comfort us. We all gave each other a look as if to be wondering how we could get out of this situation. There was no way I could sit still when my best friend was out there in pain, and we could die along with all of our friends in less than twenty-four hours.

Rita came to the rescue soon enough by saying, "We'll be down soon Mom. We're fine, so you don't have to worry."

"Alright then dearie. Please come down soon." There was a hint of suspicion in her voice but all of us ignored it. As she headed back downstairs, Richard grabbed a notebook and pen from Rita's desk.

"I say we have ten minutes to get out undetected. If we need a plan, we need on right now," Richard whispered in case Rita's mom was listening in.

"We can go through the attic or bathroom window. They both lead to the backyard." Rita chimed in. "Give me a minute to pack a few things that we might need." She grabbed a small backpack and shoved random items from around her room inside.

"How long is it to get to town hall?" asked Richard. "We should also probably put on darker outfits. We aren't dressed right for sneaking around, especially if we don't want to get caught."

"It's all the way across town from here," I answered. "It's about a ten minute drive but a long walk," I answered.

"I feel like you're targeting my sweater," Rita huffed from where she was digging in her drawers. "I'll put on a darker one, don't worry."

"Thank you."

"We can make the rest of the plan on the fly. It's gonna to change a lot anyway. We are on the run for our lives after all," I stated. "Now let's go through the bathroom window, so we don't have a super long when to go."

"How much do you bet the ghost gets stronger the darker it gets?" Rita joked darkly.

"At this point, that's probably reality," I replied before grabbing a few things Rita asked for. Richard quickly scrawled out a note to tell our parents what was going on, knowing they wouldn't be able to stop us in time.

- - -

Around ten minutes, one fall, and two slips later, we reached the backyard and scaled Rita's fence to reach the front without her mom seeing us. The creature thing had deeper into the neighborhood as evident from the faint screams that sounded. We hid and watched my parents sneak into the house, followed by Richard's parents right after. After the door shut, we gave each other a nod before taking off down the street, not wanting to be caught before the adventure (if it could be called that) began. It was only minutes before they would find out anyway. We ran until we reached the trees across the road from the snow covered entrance of the neighborhood. Richard hurriedly looked around the area, panting, before giving us the all clear sign.

"We should walk through the trees as long as we can, so the monster things don't catch," Rita stated as she got her breath back.

"Good plan," I said looking around. "We should probably grab a weapon or two to protect ourselves before we get going." The other two nodded. We all grabbed a stick or some sharp rock that could do some damage if they were attacked. It took a while to sneak through the trees around the edge of town. We were able to reach a small shopping area before being forced to leave the safety of the trees.