Chapter Twelve

Through the clouds, I watched the sky steadily darken the longer we walked on. Rita, Miles, and I walked at the front of the group, us three being the only ones to really know the extent of the danger we were walking into. By the time we made it to our final destination, the lights lining the streets shined dimly making the cold, icy world more ominous. At three points during the walk, our large size drew the attention of other monsters. They were easily defeated compared to the first one we faced.

Soaked to the bone and shivering, we carefully made our way into the building. Miles and I lead the group inside as Rita gravitated towards the back with Irene who turned out to be a force of nature when fighting. I was able to 'purify' the monsters with the crystal Rita had given me which gave us more information about Sirius. One of the ghosts, the second one we faced, told us why he hated our trio. All of the monsters mentioned the crystal though which slowly made me more worried about what it could do.

Our footsteps echoed down the hallway, and we soon made it to a room with a large staircase and what seemed like dozens of branching halls. Looking around, I noticed the doorway to the mayor's office was barred from the outside. A sinking feeling in my gut started to fester, making me feel slightly sick.

"Why are they closed from the outside?" Ellijah whispered staring at the doors in fear. A crazed laugh resonated around the room, shaking us all to the core.

"We can't have any pathetic people thinking they can ruin my plans, can we? After all, I've been planning this for two hundred years." The voice came from one of the dark hallways on the second floor. Squinting, I could just make out a human silhouette. "Besides, whoever is in there is terrified beyond belief. It really boosts my strength."

"Why are you doing this?" demanded Irene, her voice slightly shaking from how much she was trying to keep it together.

"Why do you hate this town anyway?" asked Eveline from where she stood in the back, close to Irene for comfort.

"Simple dearie, this town is the reason my best friend was killed even though he was innocent. I've been after this town for centuries, after the culprits for centuries." That's when he revealed himself.

It was beyond strange to see the face I had gotten so used to over the week stretched into a dark smile instead of his normal blank face. He stood up straight which showed off his full height instead of his normal slouch. His black hair was pulled back to show off his midnight blue eyes clearly. The dark grey suit he wore gave off a darker look which made my heart race even faster than it already was. A small silver chain with a crystal charm on it rested against his chest. What the other ghosts had said echoed through my mind.

"The crystal," I hissed over to Mikes would stood frozen in fear beside me. The crystal had never meant just my own. It seems Sirius didn't hear me, thankfully, as he continued to speak.

"Now, let's have some fun before you die with everyone else." Seven of the monsters came out of the darkness from further down the hallway. Sirius let out a small laugh at everyone's fear filled faces. Without realizing it, we all spill into groups of two, spreading out around the circle as the monsters spread around the circular overhang.

"We need to get the crystal from Sirius," I whispered to Miles. He gave a small nod in response, eyes still locked on his possessed friend. Pushing back the nausea that I had been feeling, I prepared to fight. Everyone else seemed to have the same ideas as they also got ready to fight for our lives.

The standoff only took a minute while the monsters became people's fears. The hiss of snakes filled the air as our fears came to life at the same time. The vampire, Hayden's fear, was the first to jump down, quickly followed by Ellijah's fear which is a clown, and another doctor. The snakes started for the stairs which caused my to take a deep breath to try to control my frantically beating heart. Porcelain dolls were moving around sporadically, and the spiders began to crawl down the walls. A figure in a black cloak stood upstairs silently, staring down directly at Eveline who looked like she was about to cry.