01 | an unexpected find

[unedited]
05/18/19

adrien agreste has officially been declared missing, as well as one of the superheroes of paris, chat noir.

it has been three days since the twos disappearance, three days of suffering for both marinette and ladybug, although the two are indeed one.

"tikki, what am i supposed to do!" marinette said, tears threatening to fall down her porcelain cheeks. "without chat, i don't think i'll be able to continue saving paris."

tikki flew over to her holder, softly patting her on the back. "it's okay. we'll find him. he probably just had to rush home because of family issues or something!"

the bluenette sighed, spinning in her chair. she turned on her desktop and looked at the picture of her crush. "and how about adrien, huh? where'd he go to? did he get kidnapped? run away? wait..." marinette paused, eyes squinting in thought. "is he dead?!"

tikki shook her head. she couldn't believe her miraculous holder. "i don't know, marinette, but sitting around in here all day won't solve anything."

marinette's eyes lit up in a sudden realization. "you're right, tikki!" she bonked her head with the palm of her hand. "i'm ladybug! i'll just fly over the city and check if i can spot him!"

"tikki, spots on!"

the clumsy teenager transformed into her alter-ego, one of the two superheroes of the city of love: ladybug.

she glanced around the room and checked if she forgot anything. her parents had gone to the grocery store due to the shortage of ingredients in the bakery, and it was only noon, so she hadn't had to fake her slumber.

ladybug opened the window and jumped out, the soft wind blowing through her dark locks.

she checked every crook and nanny of her city, yet no signs of the two boys had made an appearance.

no clues had surfaced. the spotted superhero sighed, collapsing on the floor in dismay. "where are you, chat?"

she got up and swung her yo-yo onto the railing of a roof. with one tug, she zoomed upwards, landing smoothly onto the building.

giving paris one more good look, the bluenette made her way to her second destination: the agreste mansion.

looking in through the large windows of adrien's room, the bug had sighed in disappointment. no signs of her civilian crush.

what did i expect, she thought. of course he wouldn't be in here.

ladybug looked at the darkening sky, only realizing what time it was. she had been searching for over seven hours.

as if on cue to her thoughts, her miraculous beeped, signaling her kwami's exhaustion. she huffed, nodding to herself. time to go.

not wanting to risk the chance of de-transforming in mid-swing, the heroine landed in an alleyway about three blocks away from her house. never in her life had she de-transformed mid-swing, and she wanted to keep it that way.

her kwami had flown out of the miraculous, landing on marinette's palm. pulling out a cookie, the girl gave her little spotted friend a treat.

marinette sighed in disappointment.

"no luck, huh," tikki said, munching on the treat.

"ironic," marinette laughed bitterly. "i thought ladybugs only had good luck."

"oh, marinette. don't worry. you'll find him soon, I promise," tikki said, flying up to marinette's face and gently nuzzling it.

"i sure hope so."

•••

the stray cat wandered the alleyway, looking desperately for any possible help.

it had been three days since he disappeared, three days since he had been a cat.

his paws were sore from walking, his fur had been ratted, full of dirt and had smelled of dried rainwater.

chat noir. this was who he was.

confused and alone with only his thoughts— well, his and his kwami, plagg's thoughts.

the two had been joined together; one body, one mind.

what do i do? chat noir thought. how am i supposed to fix this, plagg? i don't know what to do!

adrien has curled up into a ball, his green cat eyes brimming with tears. he was scared.

it's okay, kid, plagg said back, but adrien knew that plagg was just as panicked as he was. they had the same thoughts, after all. same feelings now, same emotions.

adrien had got up again, still trying to get the hang of walking on four legs. he wandered around the dark area, his eyes at least being of some use with his night vision ability.

nearing a dumpster, he cautiously climbed the edges, hoping that some food could be found.

alas, the black cat's feet had other plans. the cat tumbled down when he had just reached halfway up the dumpster, his hopes and dreams getting crushed in the process.

his stomach growled, angry and begging for something to be put in his mouth.

chat meowed in defeat. finding a cardboard box to crawl into, he made himself as comfortable as he could get and sulked in despair.

this was it. this was the end for chat noir. this was the end for adrien agreste, and no one would find him.

he closed his eyes, waiting for death to take it's toll. the cold air hit him, the hard cardboard box was of no help in aiding him. no soft pillow to lay his head on, no comfort had helped him. he was alone. scared. and he had no one to comfort him.

a metallic noise had echoed through the alleyway. the kick of a can.

it must be the grim reaper coming for me.

his eyes shut tighter in anticipation.

a gasp had been heard.

his eyes shut tighter.

"what are you doing here, little kitty?"

ladybug.

he opened his eyes. his vision had blurred from the pressure his eyelids had forced onto him and it took a while before his vision cleared.

he picked up his head.

he blinked once.

twice.

marinette?