10 | spots off

08/24/19
[edited]

chat noir prowled the streets, walking around the town for the first time in days. the words marinette had said the day before circling around in his mind.

"chaton was my best friend. one of the few people i could tell anything to."

the sentence had thrown him off a bit. there was that one time he — as chat noir — had oh so heroically saved marinette from the evillustrator, though adrien hadn't recalled marinette telling him all that much about herself. and although he did like the idea of being best buds with his princess, he wouldn't really consider their one day together enough to make them that intimate.

but what really boggled his brain was the sentence that had come after that. even though her words were muffled, adrien had heard the majority of the words she had said next.

"he was— partner in crime. —cause he's gone."

who was she talking about? herself?

no. that wouldn't make sense. surely one day hadn't meant that much to her. she couldn't consider one day with him fighting the evillustrator as a title as huge as "partner in crime."

the only other person that fit that description was his trusted partner, ladybug. he tried to imagine the sentence, saying it in his head. "he was ladybug's partner in crime."

that made more sense.

for once in the longest time, adrien took his surroundings into thought and searched the area. unconsciously, he ended up at the agreste mansion.

and for once, since his transformation into a cat, he wondered how his father had been doing without him.

pretty good, probably.

adrien sighed and trotted over to the welcoming shade of a nearby tree.

and then right after he had settled into a comfy position, a large explosion shook the ground and just on time, the screams were cued.

an akuma attack.

•••

marinette took off her gloves and set them on the kitchen counter, wiping the flour that had gotten onto her face off — well, more like smudging it.

her shift at the bakery was finally over.

the door to the bakery swung open and in came sabine with a load of new ingredients in her hands. she took in the sight of her daughter and smiled.

"thanks for helping, marinette," sabine said, setting the ingredients on a high stool and leaning over the counter to kiss marinette's temple.

marinette beamed and skipped upstairs, wondering what her little kitten was up to.

lifting up the hatch to her bedroom, the girl immediately looked towards the spot where chat usually curled up on his little make-shift bed — which was thankfully hidden if the person wasn't directly trying to find a certain cat.

it was empty.

panic arising within the heroine, she frantically scanned the room, only ending up with the same results — none.

and then her eyes led her to the opened window.

tikki flew out from behind marinette, and the two exchanged looks. in unison, they both muttered, "uh-oh."

and then at that moment, the ground trembled and the screams were on like donkey kong.

again the two looked at each other and nodded, deciding to worry about the missing cat later. "tikki, spots on!"