Rebellious Nature

19.05.2019

At the City

"Catch that little Thief!"

A horde of Men hollered at the young boy sprinting down the dark alley. He occasionally glanced back to see some of the men picking up rocks to throw at him and he dodged them all but one, it hit him in the back and he stumbled at the impact of it.

" I can't give up now." He mumbled under his breath and scrambled up to his feet again, running into another alley which was even more poorly lit than the other one he had came from, the darkness masking him from preying eyes and he slowed his running into a fast walk, so to not to be suspicious looking.

His eyes were frantic, darting from left to right, his hands still clutching onto the bag he had stolen from those men and he sighed as soon as he saw the opening to the busy night streets into the city he had lived in for so long.

In his memory, the city was once a small town, children were save to run around day and night, people knew each other but, ever since a few years ago, the small town had evolved tremendously and building after building were built in this large space inside those walls.

"Where are those times where we were all familiar with each other?" He wondered, it hadn't been that long since it happened yet it felt like years ago with those new people flocking in.

He knocked onto an old wooden door, cracks and holes adorning it and the building looked like it was ready to collapse into itself.

" Mary? Aunt Mary, it's me, Chan." The young boy whispered against the door, an eye looking into one of the holes to see movement of any sort happening inside. The light from a candle, he assumed came into his view and he stepped a little bit back from the door, it creaking open for him to enter and the old lady smiled at him with a familiarity he had missed from the other town folks he once knew.

"Hurry, child. No one has to know that you are here, again." An old Mans voice told him and Chan mentally rolled his eyes at the elder.

"Yeah, I know." He pushed the door shut and moved the heavy wooden table infront of it for a momentum of protection. "At least be happy that someone is still willing to visit you, old man." Chan chukled at the old man and dodged the pillow he threw at him.

Chan had been stealing from the wealthy to give to the poor. Some sort of like Robin Hood in a way but in a more subtle and rare kind of way. Most of the times he would take something back from the poor which the wealthy stole from. It wasn't always much and he never really got anything back but having a warm meal and a roof over the head for a night was already enough for him.

His family lived outskirts, they had moved a long time ago, the city getting too big and dangerous for them to stay in.

Chan although did not go with them, telling his family his purpose of protecting the old town folk from those rowdy citizens. His Father very much displeased still agreed to it, seeing that he got it all from him and his former Knight life.

Chan had always been teached how to fight like a Knight would and had used it countless of times in his life. It definitely saved him many times before. His rebellious nature made him into a great master Thief, his friends from his Childhood helping him with his Heists.

If it wasn't for him, the former Towns people would have been extinguished by now.

"Have you eaten yet?" Mary the older woman he had been staying with for a while now had let him in ever since day one. She was very fond of the young boy, seeing that his grandmother used to be friends with her before she passed. She knew him ever since birth and raised him instead of his Parents when they had moved away from the City, she was his second Family.

The old Man who had been with her for a while now was someone he had saved during a fight with a few young rich kids. He was the victim to those idiotic kids, beaten to pulp for being old and poor. Chan couldn't watch and intervened, picking up a fight for someone he didn't even know and saving an almost dead man from the street to live with him and his old lady.

"How are you today, Robert?" Chan asked the grumpy old Man with a blinding smile, patting him on the leg. "I have, Mary. Don't worry too much about me." He pushed the bowl filled with soup toward the elder and just took a piece of bread to munch on. "I'll take the bread though, your homemade bread is always delicious to me."Chan smiled and got up to get ready for sleep.

" Tomorrow is going to be another hard day." He sighed and helped Robert up from his rocking chair and onto his own bed." Goodnight Robert and Mary." He called out before disappearing behind the door to his room.

Chan fell asleep in an instant, his clothes and shoes still on him, passing out from exhaustion wasn't new to him either but that day was especially tiring.

Once Chan woke up from his deep slumber from loud shouting just outside the house and Mary shaking him awake.

"Chan, something is not alright!" Mary told him and he immediately woke up, peeking his head out from the window in his room and his eyes widened.

The City was on fire.

Chan was starting to panic but he had to be rational and save the two elders first. He turned to Mary and told her to pack only necessaries and dodged all of her questions. He packed his own belongings and woke up Robert from his sleep, getting the old mans cane and hooked an arm around him with Mary frantically asking him questions.

"Mary, I need you to stay calm. I have to move the table." Mary nodded and took Chan's place next to Robert and Chan moved the heavy table away from the door, his thoughts were all over the place.

Why was the City on fire? How did it happen? Where do we go now? Are my friends okay?

He made sure that both elders were out of the House first before slamming the damaged door of their old house shut.

As soon as he was outside did he realise the seriousness of the situation they all were in. Buildings were on fire, up on the Hill he saw the massive Townhall being on fire, crumbling down to nothing and people shouting and running towards the exits of the City.

Something happened and he didn't want to know what, yet. His adrenaline was pumping through him and he ushered the people he knew on the streets to hurry up and flee the flames, helping weak people to the exit and running back to people in need of help.

The City they once knew was being engulfed into the ember colored flames of destruction and Chan almost crumbled down to his knees, ready to just cry then and there but he knew he had to get out too and fled as soon as the heat of the flames became too much for even him to be handled.

"What is going on?"
"Why is everything burning down?"
"How did this happen?"

Chan also wondered, just how it could be possible for a whole City to burn down in such a short amount of time.

He certainly knew that, judging by the horrific smell they could smell, that not everyone made it out alive and he pulled the two elders next to him into a hug, watching their once Home burn down into ashes, listening to the agonizing screams of people dying in the flames and he could only imagine, what if Mary wasn't awake at that time and hadn't woken him up too, would he have died there?

This wasn't their Home anymore, they had to find a new one soon and he saw people dispersing into groups, walking away from the ashes and probably into the next Cities or Kingdoms close by.

He had lost the last bit of his Hometown that day, the last bit of his once Childhood he had left and now he had to go back to his family with a bunch of people to take care of.

His generosity and his kindess, were not enough for the Memories of the old Home to stay alive.

He was now the saviour of those which he had helped escape the flames and he was happy to see that he managed to at least safe some of the old Townfolk from getting eaten alive by the fire.

****

No, its not the same Kingdom or the town/city Seokmin lives in. This is actually somewhere else and Chan has quiet the sad past story and this is just a glimpse of it. I am so sorry to all the Lee Chan fans but ya know, fictional stories shouldn't be taken seriously. Also, this one was also very long....