10

"A... no... you're joking, right?" Mark looked at me, a small smile on his lips. "Y/N, you're joking?" 

"I'm not!" I gasped. "Mark, I'm not - I promise I'm not!" I began to cry again, curling forwards onto Chica. She placed a paw on my knee. Mark stood and moved to me, kneeling beside me. He took my hands and made me look at him. 

"Y/N..." he began, a grin spreading across his face. His eyes lit up. "This... this is amazing news!" he said softly. "Really... don't cry! Please don't cry." He reached up and wiped my tears away.

"I know, but you didn't want kids to begin with, and now we're both going to die soon and here I am stupidly having a fucking baby!" I cried, pulling my hands away. "How can you be happy about this?!" I stood, startling Chica as I moved into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed. Mark stepped into the doorway. He held the papers in his hand and pressed his lips together. 

"Because it might be our ticket to stay alive." His voice was quiet. 

"Somehow I doubt Dark would be so... so emotionally attached to a baby, Mark." He sat beside me and held me, and I leaned into him. "It's another body for him to use... another thing for him to destroy... and if he kills both of us?" I shivered. "Who'll care for him or her?"

"Well... it gives us a reason to absolutely find a way to stop him, doesn't it?" He kissed my forehead. 

"You mean I'm not reason enough?" I smiled softly. 

"You? God no," Mark smirked, picking up my humour. He pulled me onto his lap and kissed me softly. "Look... Y/N... we both resigned ourselves to being okay with dying if we couldn't find a way. Now we have to find a way... I really do want this baby, Y/N. I know what I said, I know how I felt... but things are different now. I had the chance to do things properly taken away from me. I've been given a death sentence as much as you have..." He wiped another stray tear from my cheek with his thumb softly. "It changes your perspective. If I had my whole life stretching out before me with no definite end just yet, then sure... I might change my mind again. But it's happening, and I don't know how much time we have left. What I do know is that I love you, and I'll love this little thing, and I'll do everything in my power to stop him. Everything." 

"I only hope you can, Mark," I said softly. I nestled into him and sighed. "I only hope you can." 

**

As the months drew on, Mark and I celebrated our first Christmas together. We spent some time alone in LA, seeing friends here and there, and then we made the drive over to Cincinnati to see Mark's mum. Meeting her for the first time was crazy; we didn't tell her anything, certainly not that I was a fan. Mark had warned me - she didn't like the idea that he'd date fans, because fans were more likely to use him or something. I don't know - I didn't really listen much. I thought it was stupid. Of course I was a fan, but I was the first to chime in that, given I got to watch him record and listen to him record and deal with the back end of all that, it made the actual videos a lot less funny. Because I laughed with him as he made them. And believe me, living with him is great and all, but when you have to listen to the same damned section of a video over and over, at different speeds while he adds different effects at three in the God-damned morning, and you can hear it loud and clear because he didn't quite close the door properly, you get REALLY bored of it all very quickly. 

I digress. 

We spent a two weeks with Mark's mum, and she welcomed me with open arms. We told her about the baby too, and while at first she was pretty shocked and stunned about the whole thing, after a long walk with her dogs, she came around to the idea and again, welcomed it with open arms. She told Mark he'd moved far too quickly, though, and that he ought to marry me before the baby's born. I agreed with her, and Mark went very, very red. I wish I could say that's a preface for another chapter - foreshadowing, if you will, but it's not - I'm not that cliché, unfortunately for you.