15

The exhaustion passed, and Mark and I were content and happy with our little boy, even if getting him here had been the worst pain in my life. We'd chosen to name him William, given that it was the only boys' name either of us really liked after all the months of daring to plan. Mark was besotted with him, so much so that he'd practically forgotten that he had a YouTube channel with millions of worried fans. The hospital said I could go home that evening, if I wanted to, which I did, but we had no things for the baby. Mark reluctantly tore himself away from me and William to go and buy a car seat and pick the car up from his mother's place. All in all, he was gone from us for around three hours, which gave me some time to feed William, sleep, recover... eat (eventually I had to stay overnight anyway, because my blood pressure kept dropping and I fainted twice - but that's by the by). 

When Mark returned, he looked like he'd had a shower and neatened himself up a bit. It didn't really register until I saw how he sat, almost too perfectly. His eyes were trained on the little plastic crib beside me, where William lay wrapped in a white blanket with little whales all over it. I watched him, but he didn't notice me. He just stared down, something strange in his eyes. 

"You can pick him up, you know," I said softly, surprised at how much more mature my voice sounded. Something had shifted within me. Mark jumped and looked at me like a startled fox. "He's yours." Mark smiled a little, trying to make it appear uncertain. "Is something wrong?" 

"Nothing is wrong," he said softy, reaching into the crib with the surety of someone who'd held thousands of babies - nothing like the man who'd been so stiff and terrified to even breathe earlier. He cradled William in one arm. "I just wanted to see him better. That's all." 

"Are you alright, Mark?" I asked softly. Mark looked at me and nodded. 

"His hair is dark." 

"Yes... your hair is dark... he probably gets it from you." I smiled at him and shifted up a little, so I was sitting.

"So he's not Wilford's." His statement threw me. 

"Well... n-no...?" I frowned. "No, he's yours... I told you that all along." I smiled at him and held my hand out to him. "Mark?" 

"I am fine, Y/N," Mark murmured, gazing down at William. 

"I... I hope so... you'd tell me if you weren't, right?" 

"Stop it." The mutter was barely audible, but I caught it. I caught the subtle change. I caught the light returning to his eyes, the fatigued little smile returning too. My heart sank and I looked down. I wasn't supposed to catch any of it, but I did. 

Dark had found him.

**

Wilford wandered through the corridors that night, peering into each room. The security key card he'd swiped from the security guard had been a very useful tool, considering the night shift nurses away from the ER were usually sparse. And the security guard hadn't been much of a fighter... well, that was normal, he supposed. Dead men can't fight. 

He knew Dark had managed to find Mark. As soon as Mark had been given the information that Y/N was about to give birth, he'd known... he just hadn't been able to do anything with the information because Mark's stress over not having Y/N with him kept him at bay. Still, Wilford had been kept out of the loop and he didn't like it. Landing in Cincinnati a couple of hours after Mark had - or so he hoped - Wilford had started his stalking as efficiently as ever. There was the likelihood that he had a child, and he wanted his prize. Dark wasn't going to take this from him. 

He reached the end of another corridor and groaned, pulling the small pistol from his pocket more as a safety blanket than anything else. He liked the feel of the cold metal between his fingers, the soothing shape of it nestled neatly in his palm. He turned and made his way into another wing, smiling when he saw the sign for 'Birthing suites'. He'd searched the other hospitals in the area - this one had to be it. Otherwise Dark had lied to him and the woman who would become his wife was not here. He pushed the double doors open and grinned at the nurse who appeared very startled.