24

"It's going to be the same thing every time, isn't it?" I whispered, staring at the pristine, glossy shine of Dr Iplier's shoes. He crouched down before me and took my chin. "I'll say yes, because I realise this is all an illusion of Dark's creation, and then he'll put me right back at the beginning... I'll believe it's a dream, and I'll desperately try to get back to Mark... it'll never end, will it? I'll never be free until I submit to him." Dr Iplier nodded. 

"I'm sorry it has to be this way... but you hurt him deeply."

"I know I did," I said softly. "Dark, please... speak to me... speak to me now." 

"And why should I give you the benefit of that?"

"Because I know you're hurt and upset... I'm sorry for what I did, Dark. I'm sorry I wanted to get away from you... but you've spent years scaring me... William... I had a son... Mark and I had a son... I wanted Mark, not you..." I swallowed, looking around me. "My life was complete when Mark kidnapped me... I mean, the day I met him was the best day of my life... I never thought he'd willingly date a fan, but there we go..." I held myself, sitting back on my heels. "But he did... he dated me, we had a baby... he was willing to change to help me bring the baby into the world... I never considered that you might feel something for me, Dark." 

"I felt deeply for you, Y/N. You are perfection... everything about you is perfect, don't you see? But each time I try to treat you like my queen, you choose Warfstache..."

"I don't willingly go, Dark. He does something to me. A power, or something..."

"He uses a very strong pheromone," Dr Iplier said quietly. "It's enough to get you to do anything he desires... it's the reason why everyone around him becomes so desperate for sex. It even caught me." I blushed at the memory. 

"Dark... I'm sorry I hurt you. Truly. Hell, I'm not sure if Mark actually did love me, or if he just dated me out of the guilt of me being willing to give my life for him... I just don't know." I shrugged, noticing the dark shadow out of the corner of my eye. "I love Mark... I've never met anyone else who I've loved more..."

"You would never be mine while Mark is in the picture." I climbed shakily to my feet and sighed. 

"Dark... I never had a better offer... I love Mark for his goofiness, for his charm... you're... well, you're the opposite of him. Maybe there's a darkness in me that you're attracted to..." 

"Mark cares for you." Dark presented himself to me, appearing before me in a cloud of smoke. "Deeply..." he looked down at me, his chest inches from my face. I closed my eyes and rested my forehead on the fabric of his waistcoat. "Sometimes it distracts me and I can think of nothing else than you both together... he's learnt to control that aspect of the mind. He can push memories of you and him to the forefront of my mind, and keep them there..." he lifted my chin to look at him. I did so willingly. "But he disregards my feelings for you. He was never supposed to fall in love, not via situations that I had manufactured for myself..." 

"You... you made all of it happen?"

"I did, yes." Dark pressed his lips together. 

"I would be more than content for you to take a body, Dark... I would be more than content to have you around... but scaring me and killing the one I love won't make me want to be with you..." 

"I am aware." 

"So the dilemma still stands. I want Mark, you want me, you'll keep Mark from me until I forget about him and become solely yours..." I sighed. "And you'll keep me in that loop until I break... but what if I don't break? I've suffered pain, heartache, heartbreak..."