Prologue

My mother was a powerful woman. People didn't look down to her. In fact she more than likely looked down on them. My earliest memories are of her beautiful smiling face while she was holding me. I was two years of age when I last saw her. It was many years later that I heard of her terrible fate. From then on, I quickly learned then that I should show the people what they wanted to see. I was no longer The Lady Princess, instead I was Lady Elizabeth the bastard child of the King.
People may say that I am my father's daughter, and I have never corrected them, in fear of suffering the same fate. Yet I know I will always be my mother's daughter more than anyone in the court would like to acknowledge. I have to be seen as the King's daughter, never to mention my mother or risk the loss of my inheritance to the crown. Everyday I must look at the face of my mother's prosecutors, the men that decided that she was guilty of false charges.

My father wanted a son, but she gave him me.

I look back at the memories of people that have told me I would never be seen as a princess, much less the Queen of England. My brother Edward VI and my sister Mary I were before me in the line for the throne, so I had no intent of being the queen. Yet after my father died, my siblings seemed to follow. And here I am, sitting on the throne, looking down at the people that would torment me when I was still seen as the disappointment. Oh how the mighty have fallen.