Family Reunion

This dinner was no doubt going to be the most awkward dinner of my life. I had chosen to wear a short, blue peplum dress. Klaus had insisted that I wear something other than jeans and a top. It was 6:30 and the sun was already setting. Klaus had lit the fire in the fireplace, filling the house with warmth. I had gone out this morning and bought candles and decorations for the house since Christmas was close. Klaus decided to serve prime rib tonight.

"The better the food, the better the presentation," he told me this morning. I didn't know what to expect tonight. I didn't know if my plan would succeed, I could only hope for the best. Klaus and I were sitting in the library since it was the room closest to the front door. I wondered how Elijah would walk in the house with the other Originals without Klaus hearing them, but I shoved the thought away. Elijah would know what to do. I hear the doorbell ring at exactly 6:34. I sigh and get up off the couch to follow Klaus. He walks up to the front door and looks back at me. "Ready," he asks.

I nod and smile, "let's welcome our guests in from the cold." He opens the door and there I find Damon and Stefan. They're both wearing jeans and dress shirts. Not as fancy as Klaus and I, but then again fancy was one of the words one would use to describe Klaus.

Klaus smiles, "welcome, please come inside." Damon and Stefan walk into the mansion, their curiosity stirring when they see me. The look I see in Damon's eyes tell me that he's wondering where Elijah is. I shake my head so small, I wonder if he even noticed. He smiles and I know he understood.

"Nice place," Stefan says.

"Thank you Stefan," Klaus says, sarcastically.

"Shall we eat," I say, hoping to avoid anymore snide comments from Stefan.

Damon smiles, "lead the way." I lead the three of them through the house into the dining room. The table was placed in the middle of the room, the fireplace crackling in the room. I sit down at the table where there was no placemat. Everyone takes their seats, Damon on my left, Klaus on my right, Stefan across from me. "Are you not eating," Damon asks me.

"I don't eat anymore," I say. It is true; ever since I changed I haven't been able to keep normal food down, except for alcohol and blood. The only thing in front of me was a glass filled to the rim with blood. I sigh and take the glass. I sip some of the blood, the contents warming my body.

"Shall we," Klaus says. As they dig into the prime rib, I sit in my chair, the glass in my hand, my eyes on the only entrance into this room. "Isn't this nice," Klaus asks, "the four of us dining together, such a treat. Is this what you had in mind, Cordelia?"

I can see Stefan stiffen, "this was your idea?"

"I thought it would be nice for us to finally settle our unresolved differences," I say, "besides, Klaus hasn't had guests over here in ages. So I thought, the more the merrier."

"If that's the case shouldn't Rebekah be here," Stefan asks, "Oh, wait, I forgot she's daggered back in her coffin."

"No need to be rude," Damon says.

"We're here to make a deal Damon. It doesn't mean we need to kiss his ass for seven courses," Stefan says.

"I'm just saying we have a long evening ahead of us," Damon says, "pace yourself."

"Stefan," Klaus says, "where is the lovely Elena?"

"I don't know. Why don't you ask Damon," Stefan says.

I furrow my brow at Damon, "What?"

"He's been keeping an eye on her since I don't give a rat's ass about her," Stefan says. Damon remains silent and I scuff.