Chapter 11

"Alright, let me just get my suitcase," I told her. "Come, sit."

She walked inside, shutting the door behind her. Anna smiled at Heather, then followed me as I went upstairs.

I opened the door to my room and plodded inside. My suitcase was lying on the floor. I knelt down on the ground, unzipped it and brought my toothbrush from the bathroom to place it inside, but before I could, Anna gripped my arm.

"Amy." Her voice had a serious tone. "So we're completely going to trust Heather now, right?"

"Mostly, yes," I answered. "I mean, I still haven't figured out why exactly the colonel is behind her, and why she has a strained relationship with her dad, but maybe the latter has nothing to do with me."

"And the deal with the colonel?" Anna asked.

I shrugged. "Maybe if I move in with her, I'd get to know things better."

She nodded, pressing her lips. "I guess you're right."

I kept my toothbrush quickly, knowing well that Heather was waiting. I zipped it and grabbed the handle, dragging it outside, Anna following. I turned around to have one last look at my room. A twinge of sadness pricked me. My eyes took in the place with a deep longing. I hope I find you in this one month, dad, I thought. Because if I didn't, I'd have to take a new decision, and, in accordance with my knowledge and instincts, that decision would be particularly difficult.

I sighed, shutting the door and locking it. I have to do this.

I locked all the other rooms and went down the stairs. I wrapped things up in the kitchen and had a last glance at this place, which, no matter what happened, I'd always call home. I finally joined Heather and Anna outside.

"I can take it if you want," Heather offered, pointing at my suitcase.

"Oh, it's alright," I replied. "I'll do it."

It was important for me to get to know as much as I could from Heather. The bad thing was, I couldn't have Anna over anymore whenever I wanted, and even if I did, we couldn't discuss things in private.

But Heather did know just as much as I did, if not more. There really was no harm in talking about the password in front of her. You should trust her now, I thought. She'd tell me what the colonel wanted from her. There wasn't any reason why I should doubt Heather anymore. Besides, she already knew about fragments, so what was left to hide?

It was a short walk; Heather pulled out her house keys from her pocket and unlocked the door. We went inside.

"I'll show you your room, follow me upstairs," she said. She had a huge smile on her face, and I got the feeling she was excited to have me over.

My suitcase was becoming a nuisance. I grunted, hauling it up the stairs. I finally set it down on the last landing, relieved.

We were standing in a hallway, illuminated by the continuous lighting that stretched till the back wall. It was marked by paintings and family photos lined on either side. Our footsteps echoed on the hard, wooden floor as Heather led us to the end of the hallway. She opened the last door on the right for me.

I had to say, I was impressed by the decor. It didn't look like anything less than a hotel room, and it was coincidentally modified to suit my tastes. The wallpaper was a bright, beautiful, sky blue colour, and sunlight streaming through the large, spotless windows to the left danced on the single bed complete with its white, seemingly soft blankets. There was a bedside table with a lamp covered by a decorative lampshade, an alarm clock, a neat, wooden desk, cupboards, and, of course, the most pleasing fact of all: a bookshelf at the other end of the room.