Chapter Four - Hit and Run

Sean's phone rang, him looking at the caller ID before answering it, looking over at Sam and motioning for her to go up to her room.

Sam nodded, giving him a small salute before running upstairs and shutting the door behind her when she entered her room.

Sean waited for the small click of the door before talking. "Fe?"

As soon as Felix heard his voice, he spoke, his voice quiet. "Hey. I'm in a bit of a pickle.. I was supposed to take Marzia on our anniversary date and I can't cancel on her. I was also supposed to drive today."

Sean sighed, closing his eyes. "Let me guess. You want me to fill in for you."

"Ah.. well.. you are the best driver we have. Can you do me a solid? Please?" Felix begged, knowing Sean would say yes.

"Fine. I'll cover for you, but next time you're getting Mark to do it." Sean removed the phone from his ear, ending the call before Felix said anything else. After a moment, Felix shot him a text with the details.

Sean eyed the text before sighing deeply. "Leave it to Felix to give me the hard shit. Sam's going to be angry with me.."

Sean sat his phone on the counter, picking up a burner from beneath the sink before he begrudgingly headed up to Sam's room, opening the door quietly. "Sweetheart..?"

Samantha was sitting quietly on her bed, her knees to her chest. She already knew what he was going to say, so she waved him away, frowning deeply.

Sean frowned as well, shutting the door back before going back downstairs and grabbing his keys. "I hate doing this to her.." He regretted each time he left her. Sean left the safety of his home, getting into his car and pulling out of the driveway.

Sean always had a choice. He could leave his daughter at home alone, or he could stay and get a normal job with normal pay. But he didn't want her to have the lonely life he had when he was a child. The depression he dealt with everyday until YouTube.

The funny thing was, that's exactly what he was doing to her. Leaving her alone. He thought that just because she had online friends, that she didn't need him. That he wasn't worthy of her.

But he was wrong. He was exactly what she needed. A Father to guide her. To spend time with her. To help her make decisions.

Sean Switched gears, heading down to his next job, flicking his eyes down to the radio and turning on some music to help him through the fifteen minute drive.

Sean knew the criminals he helped would eventually get caught, but they never learned. He always drove, no questions asked. But each one he helped, he noticed one thing about all of them.

They each grew fidgety and nervous as the seconds ticked by. Some even grew angry and almost violent. Some of them had families.

Sean pulled his light gray mask up to cover his nose and mouth and his hood to cover the rest of him. Every precaution was necessary while dealing with these guys.

Sean parked in the back alley once he was there, pulling out his burner phone and contacting the guy who was running the job, letting him know where he parked before taking out the SD card and lighting a match to it, letting it burn for a moment before throwing it out the window along with the burner phone that he smashed with his boot.

Sean waited, his thumb tapping the steering wheel absentmindedly. This was what got him on edge. Waiting. He hated the waiting.

Sean could get caught for someone else's stupidity easily. But the thing was, was it stupid to be the criminal, or the driver?

He was willingly putting himself in danger for money. Just like the passenger. And he only had two things to lose. His daughter and his best friend.

It was a solid forty minutes before the back seat door was opened, the person hopping inside and slamming the door behind him. "Drive!"

Sean's been played like this before. He wasn't having it again. "Money first."

The guy growled, handing him the three thousand before sitting back in the seat and buckling up.

Sean secured the money in his glovebox before taking off down the alley, knowing it would be suicide to be out in the open with this guy.

His tires screeched as he took a sharp turn to the left, hearing the distant blare of sirens.

"Fuck man.. fuck!" This guy was more fidgety than the last, unbuckling himself and looking out the back window. "I can see their lights, dammit! Drive faster!"

"Shut up and sit down. Unless you want to walk the rest of the way." Sean threatened, switching gears as his car sped up, him taking another turn out of the alley, making sure to stay out of sight of the cops.

"Phone. Give it to me." Sean reached his hand back for the phone, waiting for the man to give it to him.

"What?" It was more of a rhetorical question as he fetched his phone from his pocket, hurriedly giving it to him.

Sean chucked the phone out the window, continuing to speed down the road.

"The fuck did you do that for?!"

Sean didn't respond, knowing that they could trace them from his phone as the guy wasn't exactly careful with hiding his face. He had no mask to hide his identity.

Sean Switched gears again, narrowing his eyes as he loosening his grip on the steering wheel. "Hold onto something."

The man did as told, holding onto the seat and buckling himself back up as Sean spun the wheel, the car making another sharp turn, this time to the right just as the cops came into view again.

Sean glanced into the mirror, noticing that they had spotted him and pressing the pedal to the floor just in time to be rammed into from the side, his car slamming into a nearby drug store and his vision darkening immediately.