"19" One Legged Prom Date

I HAD gotten surgery, apparently the bullet punctured a major artery and I lost most of my blood from that one gun shot. I woke up without a left leg. Yeah, I had to get my leg amputated because of a rusty bullet and the germs from Elisia's hands infected the leg. I'd get a fake in a week but until then I had to use crutches or a wheel chair. I wasn't aloud to see Elisia or speak to her until her trial. The police told me that being told false news according to the crime wasn't illegal, fearfully keeping things from the cops wasn't something they'd arrest me for either. Besides, what kind of cold-hearted cop sends a one-legged witness to juvenile detention?

Anyways, about two days after the 'incident' I was laying on my bed when Casey lightly knocked on my door and let herself in. I sat up in bed and covered myself with the blanket from the waist down.

"Is she in jail?" Casey asked and sat at my desk chair.

"Her trial is next week, I have to give a statement." I reply and look at her. She looked rough, sleep deprived, and emotional. "How are you holding up?"

"Better than I thought I would, my best friend killed two people, it's hard to wrap my head around." Casey says. I nodded and glanced at my crutches beside my bed, I really hoped Casey didn't ask about them. Nobody knew about the incident yet, the cops refused to give any information to the public until Elisia was convicted. I told Casey that Elisia was arrested but I never told her about my leg.

"I know how you feel." I say, I desperately wanted to change the subject. "How's Johnny?"

"I wouldn't know, we broke up after I found out about Skip." Casey shrugs.

"I'm sorry." I mumble

"It's okay." There was an awkward silence between us but Casey broke it with a question. "Do you want to go to prom?....With me?"

"I don't know if I'll be able to walk by then." I say before I could stop myself.

"What do you mean?"

I sighed and face planted my hand. "I didn't want to tell you yet, I'm still adjusting myself and I don't want people to pity me."

"What's wring?" Casey stand up. I pull the blanket off of me and Casey immediately gasps. "Cole! Why didn't you tell me!"

"I don't want pity, I don't want a lot of people to know." I mumbled

"Are you getting a fake?" Casey asks

I nod and cover myself back up with the blanket. "I'll go to prom with you if I can walk."

"Okay. And for the the record I think the one leg look is badass." Casey grins and I laugh for the first time in a long time.