Chapter 4

I hum softly as the sleepiness slowly starts to lift from my mind. A pleasant amount of warmth flows through my side, causing my brows to furrow in confusion. As the sleep lifts further from my mind, I start to notice the soft tingles traveling across my skin adding to the confusion.

"What the," I mumble as I force my eyes open. My glance travels to the side that the warmth is coming from. I instantly freeze as I take in the small form laying curled up against my side. Well, that's a new development. My eyes travel down Scarlett's tiny body that's currently wrapped around mine with her head resting gently on my chest. Her breathing is deep and even, letting me know that she's still asleep. My arm is under her body with my hand tangled in her auburn hair, keeping her pressed to me protectively. This is...actually really nice. My body gently starts to relax back into the bed, sleep starting to take me again as I settle into the comfortable feeling of the tiny girl pressed against my side. I could get used to this. Not bad at all. With that thought, sleep fully captures my consciousness and I'm out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes start to open for the second time this morning as I feel a gaze on my face. Stark blue eyes stare back into mine, mere inches from my face. My head pushes back into the bed as I take in the boldness of her actions, a complete change from only a couple of days ago.

"Hi," I mumble out, my voice husky with sleep. Her head tilts slightly to the side, wide eyes still trained on my face. She's so cute when she's not trying to kill me.

"Did you sleep well?" Her brows furrow in confusion as she leans a little farther forward before slowly nodding her head. My eyebrows raise a little at her response. She's understanding.

"Are you hungry?" She gives me another tentative nod before pushing off of my chest slightly, giving me barely enough space to sit up. I push myself into a sitting position, linking a pack member to bring up some food when they get a chance.

"Alright. Food should be up soon," I mumble out as my hand runs over my face to help me wake up. Her eyebrows furrow in confusion once more as she adds a tilt of her head to the confused look.

"H-h-hut." My brows furrow in confusion as I take in her new word. Hut? What is that supposed to mean?

"Hut? I don't understand," I trail off in confusion. She lets out a grunt of annoyance as she pushes her hair away, sending an intense stare my way.

"Food. H-hot?" Hot?

"It can be hot if you want it to be," I mumble out slowly. She shakes her head, releasing another annoyed huff. 

"Ho?" Her cute look of confusion remains plastered on her face as she tries to figure out the word she is looking for. A thought pops into my mind suddenly.

"How? Are you wanting to know how I know food is going to come?" Her eyebrows shoot up as she nods quickly, pointing with excitement at my understanding.

"Haw!" I let out a small chuckle as I shake my head.

"How. H-ow. I mindlinked someone to bring food." Her brows furrow once more, a defeated look falling across her face.

"Mindlinking is like talking with someone else in your mind. It's something wolves can do with their pack members." She nods slightly, her features relaxing as she lays back against the bed, her leg draping over mine. She's definitely started relaxing over the last few weeks, minimizing her growling and trying to understand language instead. I will say, though, that she is definitely a quick learner.

"Finn." My eyes trail up to her face in question as I wait for her to continue. Her brows furrow for a moment as she looks for the words she is trying to say. Her lips part as she takes a breath to speak when the door suddenly slams against the wall. In an instant her small form is pushed behind me as I press my hand to the small of her back keeping her in place. Her small hands grip onto my shoulders as she presses to my back.  Low growls bounce around the room coming from both of us as we stare at the intruder.

" Finn! Where the hell have you be--" His words immediately cut off as he takes in the scene in front of us. His face quickly flashes from shocked to excited to smug as he raises an eyebrow. His eyes glance from me to the tiny form pressed behind me, barely visible around my broad chest.

"Well what do we have here? Finn, my man, have you finally taken up the ways of the unmated Alpha?" He waggles his eyebrows suggestively earning another low growl from me. My wolf is tense, pacing at the edge urging to get control. Scarlett's small form remains pressed against my back tightly between my hand keeping her pressed there as well as her own choice to cling to me. I open my mouth, completely ready to tell off my pest of a younger brother. However, my wolf has other plans.

"Mine." My eyes widen in shock as the word slips out, Connor's eyes mirroring mine. Mine? She's my mate? My wolf growls lowly in confirmation as he paces around. She's been here for over a month. Why is he just now telling me this?

"You found your mate? Mom is going to be so mad when she finds out you've been keeping her hidden." I send him another low growl of annoyance, my body slowly relaxing at the lack of danger.

"I didn't find out until now. Same as you. I don't know why he has just now claimed her as ours," I mumble out confused. Scarlett relaxes slightly behind me after I do, but she still remains pressed against my back. Her small head pops up over my shoulder as she takes in the newcomer with narrowed eyes. She gives him a low growl before her teeth latch onto my shoulder, near the base of my neck. Pleasant tingles flow through my body as she keeps her teeth placed gently on my skin, holding them lightly in place.

"Dude. What is she doing?" I shoot him a dangerous look before gently trailing my fingers into her hair.

"It's a comfort thing. She does it, a lot. It's seriously adorable," I mutter as I take my eyes off him. "Regardless, get out. And don't come barging into my room again unless you want a week cleaning the dungeon," I growl out lowly with a pointed look. He visibly pales before scampering out of the room in an instant, the door shutting quickly behind him.

After a brief moment of silence, I gently reach our to tug Scarlett into my lap. She lets out a low grumble of protest, but allows me to regardless. She has definitely come very far. My fingers tangle into the hair at the nape of her neck, gently resting my hand there. She looks at me for a moment before tilting her head to the side, question ready to be asked.

"Mine?" Her soft voice comes out with a confused tone as she takes in the new word. I nod my head slightly, searching for the best explanation.

"Mine means like it belongs to you. It's yours. No one else can have it. Mine." She nods slightly, brows still furrowed.

"Mine?" She asks as she points to herself with a tilt of her head.

"What's yours?" She shakes her head slightly with a huff. She wracks her brain, looking for anything to get her point across, but she didn't need to. I understood her question all too well.

"Are you asking if you're mine?" Her eyes light up as she nods quickly. I contemplate for a moment, my eyes meeting her deep blue ones as the undeniable pull starts to form. I have no questions now that he has recognized her.

"Yes. You are. You're my mate." Her brows scrunch up again at the word.

"Mats?" I laugh softly at her confusion before shaking my head.

"No, love, mates. Like ate." She nods slowly.

"Mate? Whoot?" I can't help the chuckle at her cute attempt at the word.

"What is the word you're looking for. What. And mates are very simple. They are your other half, the one thing that completes you. They make you whole," I speak gently, hoping I can get her to understand my words. She nods slowly, her face relaxing as she does. Her eyes glance around my face before a pure look of determination fills her features.

"Mine. Claim," she grunts out as she pokes my chest softly before laying against me.

"I'm yours?" She gives me a curt nod and a soft growl of finality. A small smile forms across my lips. I think I could handle that.