Chapter 3

"The pillows you requested sir," Maria says softly as she drags a large bag behind her. I stare at it skeptically. No way is there enough in that. I take the bag from her hand before she turns and walks off. I pull the surprisingly heavy bag into the room before shutting and locking the door. Scar is still sleeping curled up on my pillows. I reach down to open up the bag only to find it filled with many highly compressed bags. Okay, she did good. I sit down on my couch before reaching in to grab bag after bag and open each one. By the time I have finished there is a huge pile beside my bed of fluffy, plump pillows. I think this just might do. After kicking the pillows across the room, I set them up in a corner all piled up like a little bed for her. Suddenly a loud growl fills the room. My eyes shoot over to her immediately to see her sitting up looking around wildly. Snarls leave her mouth as she takes a defensive pose on the bed. With a frustrated sigh, I walk over to her slowly. Her growls become louder as I approach.

"You need to stop this," I groan as she launches her body at me. This time I catch her and pin her against my chest. She flails around wildly. With an annoyed growl, my teeth latch onto the back of her neck sending her into an instant submissive act.

"No," her small voice growls out. My eyes widen in shock as I look down at her. Her voice was soft but very rough and scratchy like she hasn't talked in years.

"You...can speak?" She growls out again.

"No," she growls out roughly as she flails around wildly in my arms. "No. No. No, no. No, no, no, no," she repeats over and over, her voice growing to a rough scream. Her nails dig into my skin causing me to release an annoyed groan as I throw her onto the bed made of the pillows. When her body hits the fluffy pillows, her yelling ceases and she curls her body into the pillows. That was probably the best idea I have had yet with her.

"Scar, we are not going to continue like this. Do you understand? You will stop attacking me and you will calm down. The attacks will stop, the biting and constant growling will stop. I am not trying to hurt you. I am trying to help you," I tell her sternly, letting my Alpha command slip through as I stare down at her trying my best to imitate 'the look' my mom would give me when I was in trouble. Her harsh glare is directed towards me as she sinks her body into the bed more, her eyes never leaving mine.

"No," she growls out softly. Okay. So I think she might only know the word no. I bite my lip as I stare at the small girl. I really don't know where to begin with her.

"Is 'no' the only word that you know?" She growls softly before rubbing her head against the pile of pillows. I guess the first step is to make her stop growling at everything. Then we can work on the communication skills. My eyes flicker over to the clock on the wall. 12:25. She's probably hungry by now. She hasn't eaten since this morning.

"Are you hungry?" She grunts in response as her body curls in the opposite direction. I think that was a yes? I quickly mind-link a pack member to bring some lunch up to my room for us. A sudden knock at the door as Scarlett up in a defensive position growling at whoever is on the other side. I open the door slightly before pushing it open enough to grab the food and drinks from the pack members. A quick nod in appreciation and I close the door once more. Her eyes take in the plates of food in my hand as she slowly crawls towards me. I place the food on the floor beside her drink before sitting down across from her. 

"Eat." She growls softly at the command before leaning down to grab the food off the plate into her hands. I'm not trusting her with a fork yet. I can definitely see that not going well. Her eyes never leave me as we eat in relative silence. Every so often she will growl softly before continuing to eat. I guess that's progress. I sit up with a sudden idea, which only causes her to growl at the sudden movement. A quick mind link with a pack member and a few moments later and there is a soft knock on the door once again. I open it, quickly taking the item from their hand, before turning back to Scarlett, who is still growling on the floor. I bring my hand around to my chest and smile softly at her, showing her the object I'm holding out to her.

"Do you want some ice cream?" She tilts her slightly to the side in confusion and, surprisingly, doesn't growl. That's good.