Chapter 8

MUSTAPHA

I sat like a stone and watched the princess pepper the Sultan with question after question. This cannot be happening!

"Have you been to Africa, Father?" asked the princess.

"Yes, to Egypt," said the Sultan. "The land of the Pharaohs and pyramids."

"Did you encounter Wildebeest? Someone told me it could take hours for a herd to pass through, sometimes," continued the princess.

"I've heard the same thing," said the Sultan. "You must be reading a lot of books."

The princess directed her gaze to me. "What about you, Grand Vizier? Have you been to Africa?"

This was an opportunity to impress her. But that was a double-edged sword. Grand Vizier cannot make it public knowledge spoken from his own lips that he is the last surviving sorcerer from a family that had traced its roots back to the old continent when the world was young. "Yes, my dear. Like my Sultan, I've only visited the Great Pyramids."

The princess turned away. "Hmmm."

If only she were aware of the power I wield to protect the kingdom. The more I looked at her, the more a tingling sensation caressed my heart.

"The horse is getting better," said the princess. "A few more visits from its former master and it will be as good as new."

At the mention of the boy, I felt like someone had lodged a knife in my heart and twisted. It was obvious the princess was in love, but she was not aware. A new plan grew in my mind. I must hasten and act.