Chapter 32

MUSTAPHA

I walked back to see the Sultan in the throne room. The Sultan sat shaking his head, his shoulders rounded and slumped, staring without seeing. I hit my staff on the marble floor and the Sultan's head jerked up. I bowed.

"My vizier," said the Sultan in a weak voice with a shake of his head. "What can we do to bring back my daughter? Has he spoken? Did Aladdin say where she is?"

I looked at the poor man...this was the best time to act. "My Sultan, I will find the princess. I can find her. But she would need protection from the likes of fake princes like Aladdin and other unworthy ones. I propose to find her and take it upon myself to be her protector, with...your blessings, of course."

The Sultan's eyes widened. His eyes fixed on me, his eyebrows raised. "Can you bring her back?" The Sultan grasped my hand. "What would it take? Anything?"

I squeezed the Sultan's hand. "To make sure that this does not happen again and that the princess is always safe and secured, I propose taking her hand in marriage."

"You?" said the Sultan and jerked back. He dropped my hand. "It depends on Aisha. You have the means to protect her. Why don't we find her first and hear her thoughts?"

"All right, I'll figure something out." I walked away, but the Sultan had no choice. All I had to do was convince Aisha to marry me. She would see reason. I had to get to her. Then I remembered where I had the genie take the castle to. The gods, Zanzibar, I should have kept the palace in a closer place. I would use the lamp as an amplifier.

With my eyes closed, I uttered the incantations. "Take me to Aisha." There was a flash of light, and I reappeared at Aladdin's palace. Aisha was on the couch, her shoulders shaking with sobs.