Chapter 21

AISHA

I stirred in my sleep. The sound of drums had been threatening to wake me up for the past thirty minutes. It succeeded. Altogether it was beautiful music.

"What is Father up to?" I asked Fatima as she walked into my room. Our eyes met, and she looked away.

I knew at once what it was. Sleep vanished from my eyes. I'd told Father no more princes. I jumped out of bed, got ready and stormed downstairs.

"Father!" I yelled.

"Over here," came Father's voice. "On the balcony."

I hurried back upstairs to the balcony. "Father, didn't we agree no more..." The words froze in my mouth. Outside was a massive procession of people heading towards the palace. Leading the way were fifty handsome serving men carrying fifty big golden bowls heaped with something that glittered in the sunlight. My breath caught. A girl's best friend? No, it can't be.

Father pointed. "Look! By the gods. Elephants in my Zamaja!"

I looked on in disbelief. Five huge elephants adorned with flowers and carrying musicians in a harness walked behind the serving men. A smile tugged at the corners of my lips. If I were a betting girl, I would say that the entire population of Zamaja had come out to see this procession. "Father!" I breathed. "Didn't we agree no more princes?"

"My princess, I don't know who it is," said Father. "I sent one of the servants to find out."

Just then, a servant rushed to the door of the balcony, stopped and bowed. "Your Highness! Princess. They request an audience with the Sultan."

Father nodded and wrinkled his nose. "They want an audience with the Sultan." He repeated what the servant said as his eyes darted from me to the scene outside the balcony.

I was as curious as he was despite my demands on no more visitors.

"Well...I'm the Sultan," said Father. "Err...Ahem, direct them to the throne room."

Without another word, Father headed towards the stairs, and I followed. He slowed just as the welcome entourage, members of his cabinet, took their positions.

The court's announcer stomped his staff three times on the marble floor, and all the noise died down. "His Excellency! The Sultan of Zamaja!" shouted the announcer as Father walked in. "Accompanied by his beautiful daughter, Princess Aisha."

Father sat on his throne, and I sat at my designated seat, rubbing my hands together and looking at the doorway, waiting. One by one, the fifty men walked in and put down the gifts on the floor. Somebody whispered, precious stones, diamonds, and a murmur rose among the people around. I couldn't believe my eyes, either. There are this many stones in the world?

"Where...where are these gifts from?" asked Father.

A muscled man with a serious face in front of the procession stepped forward and spoke up. "From our master, Prince Aladdin!"

I blinked.

"Aladdin, Aladdin," murmured Father. "The name sounds familiar." Father scratched his chin.

"My master wishes to come and visit the princess?" said the spokesman.

"Tell your master he can come to the palace," said Father. "But he can only have an audience with the princess if she wishes it." Father looked around. "Where is the vizier?"

"Message received," said the spokesman. "I'll deliver the message. My prince might want to come as soon as today."

Aladdin, a Prince? All of a sudden, it got hot in the throne room, boiling hot. "Excuse me, Father," I said and hurried off to my room.