Chapter 24

ALADDIN

Back at my palace, the many servants at my service all knew me well. I tried not to call them by their names and put myself and them in an awkward situation. I couldn't see how the genie had pulled it off, but he impressed me.

The lamp, I'd stowed away with other lamps I'd found in a cabinet in my room. It looked like I was a collector of lamps. I'd always known that the best place to hide something was in the open.

The next morning, I was looking forward to a meeting with the princess and couldn't wait for the evening to come. The sun went down, and it was time to go see Aisha. I rode the white horse along the roads of Zamaja heading toward the Sultan's palace. Along the way, people were singing my praises, and like the day before, I reached into the pouch on the saddle and threw gifts.

"The princess awaits you in the garden," said the servant that let me in. I'd brought my rug with me and walked to the garden.

"Aladdin!" said Aisha as I approached. Her jet-black hair flowed down to her shoulder. Her gold colored top and colored Arabian pants complimented her copper-colored skin.

I smiled. "Princess Aisha. So wonderful to be here with you again." She gave me a hug, and she smelled of wildflowers, vanilla, and mint.

"You brought your rug. Good. I don't want you to stall on the story again."

"Before we start, I want to visit Marengo," I said and picked up two apples from the fruit bowl that was there.

"He's such a lovely horse. He's now more mine than yours," said Aisha. "But I agree you have a special place in his heart."

The stable was quiet. "Where are all the horses?" I asked.

"The Grand Vizier is back, and he and Father went for a function." Aisha pulled at my hand. "You have to meet him. Mustapha is nice."

"Sure," I said and smiled.

"There he is!" I rubbed Marengo down and gave him the apple. He ate the apple, grunting and shaking his head throughout.

"All right, time for the story," Aisha said and dragged me by the hand back to the garden where the rug was. "Each time I see this rug, it reminds me of your friends."

I chuckled. "My friends. Yes, it is the same rug." I looked down at my hands and thought I should give her my back story. I'd thought about it, and I decided that the genie had given me the alternate life I would have lived if my business had worked as a merchant and I had never been robbed.

"Those were my friends from a previous life. I used to hang out with them until my life changed." I told her about losing my father and then my mother at a young age. My life as an orphan, living on the street, and stealing to survive. About my vow never to do that again. I could tell her everything, but I hesitated to tell her about the lamp and the genie.

"You've had an interesting life," said Aisha after I finished telling her my life story. "A prince that grew up as an abandoned orphan. One day you'll find your kingdom."

I looked away but didn't correct her. I felt guilty inside.

"You've been to a lot of places," said Aisha. "Places I can only dream of."

I waved my hands in the air. "But you can, too. A princess can go anywhere she wants."

"Not this princess," said Aisha. She looked down at her hands. "After Mother died, Father was overprotective of me. He felt I had to be close to him to be protected." Aisha looked at her hands and laughed a self-deprecating laugh. "The palace was my school, playground, and home." The smile faded from her face. "I did everything here. Maybe Father was right."

I looked at her sad face, and all I wanted to do was make her happy. "How was he right?"

"He said staying in the palace was to keep me safe." Aisha looked up at me with sad round eyes. "The first time I ever ventured out of the palace to look for you, I got into trouble. Even though I had my knives, anything could have happened. Imagine if you hadn't come around and had known those people?"

I looked into her eyes and saw the sadness, and I vowed there and then to make her happy if that was the last thing I did. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course, I trust you," said Aisha without hesitation. "Why?"

I extended my hand, and she took it in hers, eyes twinkling. "Come with me, I'll show you a whole new world." I stepped back onto the rug, sat down, and motioned to her to sit.

Aisha smiled. "You want to finish the story."

"Flying carpet," I said. "Show us the wonders of the world!" The carpet rose into the air.

"The rug is moving!" Aisha shrieked and crouched low. "We are lifting into the air."

"Hold on tight," I said as the rug rose higher and higher into the air.