Chapter 20

ALADDIN

Except for the occasional stray dog, night walkers, food vendors, and their patrons, the streets were deserted as I walked home. The lightweight rug I'd started off with now weighed like a dead donkey. But the thought of the princess made my burden light.

By the time I got back to my dilapidated room, my plan had changed so many times that right now, I had none.

I put the rug down and unrolled it. The old and ugly lamp stared at me. What was its story? How did the genie become trapped inside the lamp to grant wishes? I pushed my concern about the genie to the side and focused on myself.

I wanted to summon the genie and have him solve my problems, but was I hundred percent sure about the princess? The princess felt something for me too, but was it strong enough for marriage? Society wouldn't permit it. I was poor and a commoner, a former thief. I'd seen the rich princes that had trooped in for her hand, and she had said no to all. Why?

A plan took shape in my mind. I would outdo all the princes. Hands trembling, I picked up the lamp and rubbed it. My room filled with whitish blue smoke and in no time, the genie appeared.

"How can I help you, my master?" said the genie and bowed.

"What about the hand of Princess Aisha in marriage?" I said, rubbing my chin.

"Which hand do you want?" asked the genie. He raised an eyebrow. "Wouldn't you rather marry the whole princess instead of just her hand?"

I folded my hand over my stomach, not sure what to make of what the genie had said.

"Just kidding," said the genie and laughed. "You should have seen your face."

"Can I do better than all the princes that have come so far for her hand, in terms of gifts and entourage?"

"That's easy," said the genie. "All we have to do is provide more gifts than the princes combined and build some intrigue around you."

"Sounds good. How do we do that?"

The genie raised his hand. "What about the other paraphernalia that goes with being someone with clout?"

"Like what?" I asked.

"A palace, a title?" said the genie.

"Can you make all that happen?" I asked.

The genie nodded.

I thought fast. There was an empty plot of land opposite the Sultan's palace. It would be a great location. I told the genie about it, and he gazed at me with an amused look on his face. Gold earrings dangled each time he moved his head. With his hands folded across his chest, his biceps strained against the golden bands on his arms.

With a flourish of his arms, the genie bowed. "Master, your wish is my command. Your eyes are droopy. Get a good night's sleep. In the morning, you will wake up a new person. But, remember, that is wish number two."

I found a string, tied it around the handle of the lamp and wound it around my waist. I yawned, the events of the past twenty-four hours catching up with me. "Goodnight, genie."