November 2005

Nothin' lasts forever

And we both know hearts can change

And it's hard to hold a candle

In the cold November rain

-November Rain (Guns N' Roses)

_________________________________________________________

The room was abuzz with all sorts of news. Some were talking about Batman, the new name of Gotham's vigilante. Others were talking about a gala Bruce Wayne had held a few days before. And others were talking about the asylum. The asylum was under investigation again. More rumors about malpractice were circulating. This time, the rumors were about Jeremiah Arkham himself.

Paul wanted me to try the story again. I refused. I didn't want to go back to the asylum. I didn't want to go back to the screams. I couldn't have another panic attack in my car because of the place. I couldn't. It was pathetic.

The thing is, no one else wanted to do the story either. Paul really wanted someone to try, though. So he had us draw names.

I was picked.

I wasn't surprised. I had some of the worst luck ever.

_________________________________________________________

It was raining when I went back to the asylum. I sat in my car before going to the doors. I had my head on the steering wheel, trying to prepare myself. I couldn't have a repeat of what had happened the last time. I couldn't come back to sit in my car and have another panic attack.

After gathering my thoughts, I quickly went inside the asylum. I didn't want to look like a mess for my investigation. No need for my physical appearance to reflect what I was feeling.

I was so much more nervous this time than the last. This time, Jeremiah Arkham wasn't expecting me. He had no idea I was here.

Jonathan didn't know either. I knew he didn't like when I came here. Especially when it was for my job.

I hoped he wouldn't find me.

This time, I wasn't going to talk to Jeremiah Arkham if I could help it. I knew he wouldn't talk to me. And I didn't want to talk to him. There was a mutual feeling of distaste between us.

There were three people I wanted to speak to. Dr. Leland, the woman I'd met a year ago, Aaron Cash, a guard I'd been told was trustworthy, and one of the patients, Victor Zsasz. I didn't want to speak to Victor Zsasz, but Vicki told he was incredibly intelligent and willing to talk. She warned me not to make him angry, though.

I could do this. All I had to do was avoid Dr. Arkham and Jonathan. Easy. This place was big. I could make it do Dr. Leland's office without running into them.

I couldn't avoid the screaming, though, as much as I wanted to.

_________________________________________________________

I sat in the patient's visiting room, waiting for Victor Zsasz. My hands were shaking under the table.

Dr. Leland and Aaron Cash had given me a little information, but not enough to implicate anyone. But what I'd gotten was better than nothing, even if I felt they were holding back information. And I'd managed to avoid Jonathan and Dr. Arkham. I'd made sure to tell Leland and Cash not to tell either of the doctors I had been talking to them. They agreed though I can tell they thought it was odd.

The door opened and the scarred man walked in, hands and feet chained, with a guard beside him. Zsasz sat down and the guard stood off to the side. I wanted the guard gone. I didn't want him knowing what I was talking about.