chapter 4

omniscient

omniscient

Marnie had arrived at her home at 4:30 pm, giving her a few hours to relax before preparing for the dinner with her father.

She had the whole penthouse to herself, a rare occurrence. She usually had friends over from school, her boyfriend, or even her therapist.

Marnie didn't like being alone. It reminded her how lonesome her actual life was.

While she was laying on red leather couch in the family room, she decided to call Dean. She was wondering why he skipped school, and why he didn't tell her he was.

The phone started ringing, and a voice that Marnie had grown to love picked up on the other end of the phone.

"Hey babe, what's up?" Dean sing-songed.

"Hey... I was just wondering why I didn't see you today?, you always tell me when you're missing school" Marnie said curiously.

"Oh about that... I was shadowing my dad at his office today. I want my resume to be as good as possible" Dean said. Which was partially true, he did shadow his dad for a good resume, just not today.

Little did Marnie know, Dean was lying straight through his glistening teeth, again. But Marnie would never figure that out.

"Oh okay, no worries love" Marnie said as her worry subsided.

She bought it, thank you God, Dean thought.

Marnie was a smart girl no doubt, top of her class, but Dean had left no trace of a pattern for her to grab onto.

His lies became part of their relationship in the end.

Three hours later, Marnie was seated at the table with her father, Warner Statsenburg. Silence rang through the room.

The only sound would be from the chef coming through the formal dining area, bringing the main course and dessert.

"How was school?" Her father finally said, breaking the silence.

"Okay" Marnie replied. "Will you be making it to the Mayor's Gala next Monday?" Marnie asked.

"I'll have to check my schedule, I wouldn't count on it. I have meetings all next week" Her father replied looking down at his steak and green beans.

"You had meetings all last week too.." Marnie replies in a low tone.

"I will try my love" her father said giving her a small smile. "I've been meaning to talk to you, it's about your mother" his tone then changed to serious, no smile in sight.

Marnie was stunned, her father never brought up her mother, ever. She was locked away at the Brooklyn Detention Center and Warner instructed Marnie to never visit her.

To be honest, Marnie thought about her, she never had a mom and so dreaming about what their life could have been like was Marnie's way of coping.

Marnie had to teach herself how to do things like braid her own hair for school or how to use a pad when she got her first period. She never had a mom for that.

"I was informed by her parole officer that she would be getting out the day after tomorrow. I was also told that she cannot be within a hundred feet of us at all times, so don't worry about seeing her on the street" her father stated.

"I'm finished, may I be excused?" Marnie asked, Her father nodded.

Marnie walked to her room and fell on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

She couldn't believe it, but her mother would be getting out.

As she lay there, a smirk formed on her face and she thought,

it's finally time to meet Mommy Dearest.

* * *

it's finally summer!
i hope you enjoyed.
xoxo,