chapter 13

marnie

                                          marnie

  "Marnie that is a horrible idea honestly" Naomi says.

   "Why? It's just a small dinner party for my dad. He's been working really long hours and I think he'd like it" I say as I fold invitation envelopes.

   "Marnie, you invited Dean's family. Are you sure you're ready for that?" she held the white envelope between her middle and pointer finger. She was worried.

   "Naomi, I can't hide from him. I don't like him but I can't act like he doesn't exist. His family are close with my father and if I have to spend three hours around him to make my dad happy then I will".

   Her left eye brow raised. She wasn't buying it.

   "I'm honestly doing better". I say continuing to write on the invites.

To be completely honest, I don't care if she believes me. If I've learned anything through this experience, I don't owe an explanation to anyone. I don't have to explain how I feel because it's no ones fucking business.

"I don't have to prove myself to you" I scoff.

"Are you sure you aren't moving on too fast, it's only been a couple of weeks" Naomi says concerned now. She wasn't being sarcastic.

   "I said I'm okay. I can't spend the rest of my life being sad over a boy who cared so much about me to cheat on me. I'm not gonna let this ruin my senior year, so just please, let it the fuck go." I say replying. The conversation was over by then.

   "Fine, I wave my white flag" she says.

dean

   We're sitting the company building the boardroom. My parents insisted on a "professional setting".

   My family had a sit down meeting with Daphne about Posie. They said needed to work out when we would be seeing her and money logistics. I told them that we aren't figured it out, but they insisted on it being official.

My mom, dad, and the family lawyer they hired sat on one side of the long table in the boardroom, while Daphne and I sat on the other side. My mom insisted on a lawyer being present so no " money misunderstandings" would take place.

  I just think my mom was upset because she was a grandma and she wasn't even fifty yet.

"Do you have good insurance? If not you're going to need to get on ours" my mother says. My dad just sat there staring at me, I don't know if he was still in shock or if he was mad.

   At least this is better then before, when my dad first found out he threatened to take away my ability to inherit the company when he passed, telling me that good business man doesn't have "distractions".

   I didn't think that a kid could be a distraction.

   Then he ignored me for days.

"I have insurance, it's pretty good I believe" Daphne responds. I could tell she was nervous, she kept bouncing her leg up and down.

   When I called to tell her about the meeting, she told she was "scared shitless" and honestly I can see why.

   We had been sitting here for almost two hours and all the things they were talking about started to get muddled to me. It was a mix of who would get Posie during the week and weekends and since her mom was the primary caretaker, how much I would be paying in child support.

   My phone kept buzzing in my pocket and I pulled it out noticing they were texts from Naomi.

   Naomi: Marnie is having a party for her dad and wants you and your family to come. Your invitation should be coming in later today.

   I couldn't believe what I was seeing. She hated me? At least that's how she felt the last time I saw her. What was this about?

   Dean: She wants to make up?

   Her reply came in.

   Naomi: Don't get too ahead of yourself.

   But the thing was, I couldn't help it. I'm gonna win her back.

*                        *                       *

end of chapter 13