chapter 6

omniscient

omniscient

The weekend went by quickly and before anyone knew it, it was Monday night at five pm.

The night would be taking place at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the invite list was six hundred people long.

The day of the Mayor's Gala was a frenzy. The party was to celebrate Mayor Bryar's fifteenth year as the mayor of New York City. The party was invite only and all of New York's most popular socialites, politicians, journalists and "everyone who was anyone" was invited.

Marnie was at her home getting ready. She always did her own hair and makeup for events, she didn't like other people telling her how she should look. Her father decided he would be joining her for the night as her date since Dean had called and didn't know if he could make it.

Little did she know, he was at Daphne's apartment visiting his daughter.

She was confused as to why he would cancel, but "things happen" she thought.

She called Naomi over to raise her spirits, but to also help her pick a dress. Marnie had been asked by over 10 designers to sport their gown at the Gala so she had many options.

* * *

marnie

"Shit happens, I'm sure he has a good reason to miss such an important event" I said. He wouldn't just miss the most important event of the year.

"Maybe, but he told you such last minute, that's such an ass move. Wear this one!" said Naomi as she grabbed a Chanel gown of the rack. It was rose gold with a lock v neck and mermaid style. It was priced at 1.2 million.

I walked over to the dress, it was perfect. "This is why you're my best friend" I said. Naomi gleamed.

"Since you didn't want to go partying with me Friday, I went and gambled by myself" she said while looking at her manicure. I looked at her puzzled.

"Don't you have to be twenty one?" I asked.

"I'm not twenty one, but my ID is" she said waving her fake ID in my face.

Naomi had a gambling problem. She had probably made over a million in wins and claimed it was all her "luck". She was good, but it was very illegal.

"Bad girl" was all I said as I finished my makeup.

"It's all in good fun. It's not hurting anyone" she said waving me off.