Chapter 10

"Peter," I say when we pull into my driveway.

"Hm?" he replies.

"We're home now."

"Carry me please," Peter says.

"No," I say flatly.

"Why not?" Peter whines.

I heave a heavy sigh. I once again drag Peter into my house. I lay him down on the couch. When I turn to walk away, Peter grabs my hand.

"You said you wouldn't leave me." Peter pulls me onto the couch, my back pressed up against his chest and his arms around my waist. "Goodnight, Zurey."

"Goodnight."

The next morning, Peter managed to get a pretty bad hangover, even if he wasn't completely drunk. I don't even understand how that happened.

I sit on the couch in my living room.

Peter has his head in my lap.

I run my hands through his hair, messing it up and playing with it.

"Zurey," he says quietly.

I look down at him. "Yes?"

"My stomach still hurts."

I sigh. "I'm not letting you overdose on pain meds."

Peter sits up, pulling me closer to him. "I just want to cuddle with you, Zurey," he says softly.

"I'm starting to think you're still drunk," I mutter, though I don't decline the offer to rest in his arms.

Peter smiles. "Your hair really does look nice like this."

I blush.

Peter's smile grows into a grin. "I love it when you blush." His fingers lace through mine.

"Peter..." I trail off.

He rests his head in the crook of my neck. "I have to tell you something, Zurey."

I shiver. Butterflies are tearing my stomach apart. "What is it...?"

Peter holds me closer. "I remember...everything...from last night. After we kissed I—"

"Shut up, Peter," I say suddenly. "I don't want to hear it. I know you don't really like me. You think I'm annoying, don't you?"

"Zure, what are you talking about?"

"You know perfectly well," I snap.

"Zurey," Peter whispers in my ear, "let me talk."

I sigh. "Fine."

Peter tightens his hold on me. "Zurey...when we kissed last night, I...I was so happy. I said it, didn't I? I've never wanted to kiss someone so badly."

I shiver. "And...?"

"And I can't believe I didn't realize this sooner. You know, we've been going to school together since fourth grade. I don't think you remember me though. I was different back then. I wasn't on anxiety meds, I felt genuine happiness. But then...middle school." Peter laughs emotionlessly. "You know how it is, right? I was sent to reform school. I came back in ninth grade and did something even worse. I finally was allowed to go to public school this year. And when I saw you I...I remembered that feeling. That feeling of security. Something drew me toward you. I had to know you. But...you were always with Clarity and I thought that...you liked Alex."

I open my mouth to speak, but no words come out.

"What I'm trying to say is—"

I whirl around, clasping my hand over Peter's mouth. "Don't finish that sentence," I breathe.

Peter gently moves my hand away. "Why not...?"

"I...don't want to..." My voice trails off.

"Whatever your expectations are, I promise that I won't do anything to hurt you."

I bury my face into his chest. "Peter...this isn't fair. It isn't. I've never felt this way before. Why does it have to be like this...?"

Peter rubs my back gently. "It'll be okay." He lifts my chin so that I'm staring into his eyes. They've changed color again. This time they're silver.

My stomach is in knots. The butterflies are tearing up my insides.

Peter smiles a genuine smile, then places a gentle kiss on my lips.

I shift the way I'm sitting so that my entire body is facing him.

As soon as I wrap my legs around his waist, he deepens the kiss.

I run my hands through his hair.

Peter gently rubs my thigh with his thumb. His other arm is wrapped tightly around my waist.

The kiss seems to go on forever after that.

Finally, Peter pulls away.

We're both panting, our hearts thudding rapidly in our chests.

"Azure," Peter whispers. "I think I..."

I gently rub his cheek with my thumb. "I know," I say quietly, a small smile on my face.

Peter looks into my eyes. He starts to grin. "I don't even know what to say at this point."

I lay my head on his chest, lacing his fingers through mine.

Peter's free arm wraps around me.

"Let's stay like this," I whisper.

Peter holds me closer. "There's no place I'd rather be, than here with you right now."
<><><>
"You and Peter what?!" Alex exclaims. He's pacing back in forth in his living room.

"Calm down," I plead. "Just let me explain."

Alex glares at Peter. "You never asked for my permission," he growls.

"What's your problem?" Peter snaps. "You're acting like you're her dad or something. Is it really that big of a deal? We didn't even go that far."

"Yeah," I say. "He actually had some self control despite him being too drunk to stand."

"I shouldn't have let you take her to that party," Alex mutters.

I stand, grabbing his hand. "Alex Nathaniel Martin," I say sternly, "listen to me."

Alex turns to me.

"Thank you," I breathe.

"I'm sorry about that," I say to Peter when we get back to his truck.

"It's fine," Peter replies. After a moment, he smirks. "I'm going to take you to my house."

"W–What?" I stammer.

Peter grins. "Don't worry, it'll be fun! My parents aren't ever home at this point, and if anything I'll just tell them you're my girlfriend. They'll be perfectly fine with that!"

"The problem is, I'm not your girlfriend," I snap.

Peter pouts. "Why not?" he whines.

I facepalm. "You're ridiculous."

"Ridiculously in love with you," Peter says, wiggling his eyebrows.

I blush bright red. "Get a life," I huff.

Peter grins. "You're my life, my princess."

I groan. "Shut up and drive. I want to go home."

Peter chuckles. "As you wish."