Chapter 11

"Did I mention that I wanted to go home?" I ask.

"You are home," Peter replies.

"No," I snap, "you're home."

"That's what I said!"

I groan. "I guess I'm walking..." I get out of the truck. Suddenly, I feel arms wrap around my waist.

"You're not going anywhere," Peter whispers in my ear. He pulls me closer to him. "I want to be with you today. So don't go."

I shiver, heat rising in my cheeks. "You were with me all day yesterday."

"Zurey," Peter whines. "I want to spend time with you. Don't question why. I just want to."

I attempt to free myself from his arms, but he spins me around to face him.

"You said you wouldn't leave me," Peter whispers, gently in my ear. "Please, just stay with me. I hate being alone." He kisses my neck softly. After a few moments, his eyes meet mine. "Please, Zurey," he whispers again.

Before I can answer, another voice speaks.

"What do we have here?" asks a deep voice.

Peter scowls, moving away from me.

I turn.

A boy with dark hair and dark eyes smiles menacingly at Peter. "I haven't seen you since the detention center. That was what? Six months ago? I see you've already gotten your hands on another girl."

"I didn't think they'd ever let you out," Peter snarls. "I don't think anyone can get more filthy than you."

The boy grins. "What can I say? I know how to persuade."

Peter puts an arm around my waist, pulling closer to him. "Let's go, Zurey," he says roughly.

"Not so fast," the boy says. "You have debt to pay."

"What?" Peter snaps.

"The last time we saw each other was when you got all defensive over that new kid back at the center. We got in a fight, remember? If I remember correctly, the last thing you said to me after they pulled us apart and before took me away was, 'the next time I see you, I'll kill you.'"

"Zurey," Peter murmurs to me, "go inside. Make sure Lyra is alright."

"Peter I can't just—" I'm interrupted by the boy.

"Why don't you stay and enjoy the show?" he asks, rolling up his sleeves.

Peter steps in front of me. "Get out of here, Aiden. I'm not in the mood for you."

"Peter Grace not in the mood for a fight? You've really changed, haven't you?"

Peter draws himself to his full height. "I'm being serious. Leave. If I remember correctly, I won the fight last time. You don't want to have to deal with me."

"Oh, but I've learned my lesson." Aiden grins. He lunges at Peter.

Peter does the last thing I expect him to do. He kicks Aiden in the side.

The blow sends Aiden flying.

Peter walks over to him and picks him up by his neck. "I'll tell you one more time," Peter snarls. "Pick your sorry ass up and leave." He drops him.

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out.

Peter takes my hand in his. "Come on, Zurey." He leads me into his house.

"Is that you, Peter?" Lyra's voice calls from the living room.

"Yeah," Peter replies. "Zurey's here with me. If you need anything, we'll be down in the basement, okay?"

"Okay."

"Are you alright?" I ask Peter when we get downstairs.

"I'm fine, Zurey," Peter assures me.

"I don't believe you," I say. I put an arm around his waist. "What's wrong?"

Peter pulls me closer to him. "I already said that I'm fine."

"No you aren't." I run a hand up his arm. "You know you can trust me," I say after a moment of silence.

Peter cups my chin in one hand. "Are you attempting to seduce me? If so, it's working."

"Is that what you want?" I ask, just above a whisper.

"I want more than that, Azure," Peter says in a low voice. "I want all of you."

"Peter..."

He suddenly lets go of me. "You don't feel the same, right? That's why you..." He runs a hand through his hair. "It's okay. Things always turn out this way for me. I'm used to it. Everyone just thinks I'm a heartless criminal. I guess it would seem like that after all these years..."

"Peter," I say again. "What on Earth are you talking about?"

He gives me a confused look. "Huh?"

"You idiot," I mutter, pulling him close to me again. "I never said I don't feel the same."

"Sorry," Peter murmurs, leaning toward me. "I'm not used to being accepted."

"Then get used to it, cause I..." I trail off as our lips touch.

Peter tugs me closer to him. "Zurey..." he whispers against my lips.

I kiss him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

He kisses me back roughly. "I need you," he murmurs. He pushes me gently against to wall.

My phone starts ringing in my pocket.

Peter pulls away from me. "You gonna answer that?"

I sigh. "I guess." I pull out my phone. It's my mom. "Hi Mom," I say quietly.

"Why aren't you home?!" she exclaims.

I cringe. "I'm out with a friend."

"What friend?" she asks. "A boy?"

"Mom, I'm fine, okay? I'll be home soon."

"You didn't answer my—"

I hang up on her.

"So uh, you have to go?" Peter asks awkwardly.

I nod. "I'm really sorry about that..."

"Don't worry, it's okay! I'll drive you home."

Mom is standing outside, waiting for me when I get home. "Clarity doesn't have a truck," she snaps. "Nor does anyone in her family. So who were you with?"

"A new friend," I reply. "You haven't met them before. Can I do to my room now?"

"Not until you tell me who they are!"

"Mom!" I exclaim. "I'm a senior in high school! I should be able to have other guy friends then Alex, right?! I don't want to date every boy I talk to, okay?" I push passed her into the house. But don't you want to date Peter? a voice in the back of my head nags at me.