Chapter 2

(Y/N) hated crowds. Period.

She didn't understand what was so special about her. Of course, she knew she was a good pianist, but her skills were nothing compared to other well-known pianists, yet these people were acting like she was a saint, a savior of some kind, and that made her uncomfortable.

Adam helped pick out her outfit for tonight, as, again, she did not care if her clothes matched or not, which led to some...interesting encounters when they went out, and normally Adam allowed her to do it as it wasn't doing any significant harm, but this was a public event, and (Y/N) couldn't really afford to look ridiculous.

So, he picked out a light blue silk dress that felt like water on her skin, ankle-high black boots, and even placed a blue headband in her hair. She wasn't permitted to wear makeup, which (Y/N) was thankful for, as makeup was one of her worst fashion nightmares.

She would not wear any of that even if someone paid her a million dollars. After all, her mother had figured that out the hard way when she attempted to "doll her up" for an event.

As for Adam, (Y/N) had insisted that he wear something nice rather his usual work clothes, and Adam, not seeing the problem with it, agreed, putting on a tux that (Y/N) had personally bought for him as well as black pants and polished shoes. He had many other clothes to wear too thanks to the shopping they did together, as (Y/N) wondered if Adam would be tired of having to wear his work clothes all the time.

Adam didn't say that however, but it didn't matter.

As soon as they arrived to the building the party was to be hosted, (Y/N) and Adam were immediately bombarded with the flashes of cameras and the shouts of the paparazzi asking questions to her that seemed to create a gibberish language thanks to them shouting all at once. Thankfully Adam had placed the light-resistant glasses on her before they got out of the vehicle, and then he proceeded to guide her towards the building, easily ignoring the paparazzi around him.

(Y/N) also kept her expression as blank as she could manage as they passed the cameras and the fanatic people behind them.

"Miss (Y/N)!" she kept hearing, then she would hear those people continue to ask their questions, all of which she again couldn't understand. Thankfully, though, they were inside the building, with Adam closing the door after them and thus drowning out the sound of the people outside.

(Y/N) unleashed a shaky breath as Adam moved to remove her coat. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"Yes," (Y/N) answered breathlessly. "Just let me catch my breath."

Adam nodded, placing her coat on the nearest rack before he patiently waited for her to regain her bearings.

It didn't take too long fortunately, and they proceeded to walk towards the doors that led to the ballroom.

Adam went ahead of her to open the doors, and immediately (Y/N)'s sight was assaulted by the large group of people within. They all wore expensive-looking clothes, some were holding glasses of wine or champagne and chatting amongst themselves, others were dancing in the middle of the room, and there were beautiful paintings located everywhere. It didn't take (Y/N) long to identify the artist.

This was, after all, what the party was about.

Adam led (Y/N) through the room, it was only when they were nearly halfway across the room that they were noticed by the party's attendants. Thanks to her glasses, (Y/N)'s eyes were not seen, which she was glad for as she was looking down, trying to avoid looking at anyone. Of course, she still felt their eyes on her, which felt like they were trying to burn themselves into her form.

"What a cute little girl."

"That's her? The autistic piano girl?"

"What? You sure that's her?"

"Positive. After all, that android always accompanies her wherever she goes."

"Hm, true."

"As expected of an autistic girl."

(Y/N) wanted to stomp over to those people, grab their glasses, and smash them into their faces, uncaring if the glass embedded itself in their faces. She always hated it when people immediately made assumptions about her because of her disability, or of Adam, like how she couldn't take care of herself.

But she knew they were right about that. It was, after all, why Adam had to look after her all the time.

Still, that didn't stop the humiliation and anger that overcame her.

Then Adam's hand was on her head, lightly patting it. "Calm yourself," he whispered to her, a small smile gracing his lips. "They are not worth your time."

(Y/N) looked up at him. "But..."

"Their words don't matter," Adam gently interrupted. "I can see that they are jealous of you (Y/N), and they are talking behind your back to bring you down."

(Y/N) blinked in surprise. "Adam, you know I'm not that skilled at the piano."

Adam chuckled, and it sounded so genuine that (Y/N) felt all anger fade away as if it were a light-switch. "I beg to differ (Y/N). You can do things that most human pianists can never do, something that can only be matched by an android."

(Y/N) blinked again. "And what's that?"

Adam just smiled at her, and eventually they arrived to where the piano was.

The piano was grand with a black coloring, its white and black keys were so clean that they shone in the dim light of the room, and the stool's legs were elegantly curved and its seat contained soft padding that looked comfortable and gentle. Adam led her to the piano seat, and once she was sitting, moved to stand next to the piano, staying within her sight.

(Y/N) always functioned better at playing for a room full of people when he was there.

She knew the songs she was to play, but being in a room of people, many of whom were scrutinizing towards her because of her autism, it would be easy for her to forget, but Adam? He would keep her grounded, mouthing the song she would play, and then she would play as if she were at home.

Of course, this piano was going to present a problem with how unfamiliar it was, but it wouldn't matter.

So, while everyone was doing their own thing, Adam nodded to her with a smile, and whispered, "Good luck."

(Y/N) smiled back, and took a deep breath before her fingers began to dance over the keys and fill the room with beautiful melodies.