Chapter 3

She played the piano for a good thirty minutes before she was allowed to stop.

When that time came, (Y/N) had been surprised, like she always did whenever she had to stop playing. It was a part of her being a pianist after all, as she could get so lost in the melody of the music that time would pass her by without her even realizing it.

Thankfully Adam kept track of time for her.

But now, here she was, a glass of champagne in hand, doing her absolute best to avoid speaking to anyone, who would try to talk to her just to make themselves look good, not about her piano music.

Well, sometimes it would be about that, but then it would quickly shift.

"Adam," (Y/N) began, looking up to the android, "why exactly do we have to stay here? We've already done our part here."

Adam looked at her. "You are a well-known pianist (Y/N), and it's essential that you speak to people who are just as well-known as you."

(Y/N) sighed. "I get that, but..." She looked into her champagne, mesmerized at the bubbles that kept coming up to the surface. "They're so hard to talk to. They don't truly care about piano music. They only care about the entertainment and the money it will provide them."

"I agree my dear."

The male voice, so unfamiliar, made (Y/N) squeak in surprise and rush behind Adam, almost dropping her champagne in the process. Through the sound of her rapidly beating heart, she heard a chuckle, genuine and caring, that it made her look past Adam.

"Forgive me my dear, I didn't mean to startle you."

The first thing (Y/N) noticed was the man's wheelchair. She knew she shouldn't have taken notice of that first, but the wheelchair caught her attention first, as it told her the person within it couldn't walk. Then she took note of said person; while he was wearing a respectful and formal looking attire for the party, (Y/N) noticed his wrinkled face and white hair, the former of which contained a smile that felt genuinely warm. Slowly, she walked from behind Adam, resisting the urge to grab his wrist.

"I-It's okay," she said bashfully, praying that in the dull lighting, the man wouldn't see her flushed face. "U-Um, who are you sir?"

The man's smile widened, and he chuckled in warm amusement. "You don't remember me (Y/N)? How hurtful."

(Y/N) jumped, looking right at the man's nose. "M-Mr. Manfred?!" she almost squealed again. "I-I'm so sorry! I-I didn't recognize you!"

Adam's hand was on her head again, rubbing soothing circles across her scalp. Immediately her stress was relieved.

Carl Manfred waved a hand. "It's alright dear. I'm just teasing you. It has, after all, been a long time since we last spoke to each other."

It really has. (Y/N) didn't even recognize the man.

Carl then looked around, his smile disappearing into a frown. "You're not here with your parents this time?"

(Y/N) clutched onto the glass, her throat constricting, so she couldn't answer even if she wanted to. Seeing this, Adam spoke up.

"We no longer live with them, Mr. Manfred."

Carl's eyes widened, before they relaxed. "I see." Then, he turned to the man behind him, who had been standing behind him quietly the entire time. "Well, should I introduce you to Markus? He's been taking care of me for some time now."

(Y/N) looked up at Markus, the first thing she saw being his crystal blue eyes. He barely had a hairstyle, the appearances of a beard and mustache were present, tan skin, and a sturdy body. From the blue LED on his head, (Y/N) knew he was an android.