5.5 -On the Court

Your POV

You were supposed to meet up with Taeyong after your last class of the day for tutoring on Thursday at 5:00.

Well, it was Thursday. It was 5:20. You had agreed to meet at the library. And he still wasn't there.

Absolutely marvelous.

Your phone in your hand buzzed with a new message as you paced impatiently around, waiting for your indecent guest. You shook your head, amused when you read the message.

ThatOneBoiYouDon'tTalkTo: I'm coming now. I took a fat nap and didn't set the alarm, sorry.

Delivered at 5:40 p.m.

You paced around a bit more, then went inside to find yourself a seat near the window, placed your bag on the table, and waited, texting Jisung about your day. He was still in class, however, so you just decided to put your phone away and pulled out a book to read.

Seven minutes later, the chair next to you moved as the red-haired boy sat down, his face flushed from literally sprinting from his apartment to the library.

"It's about time that you arrived," you said with a short laugh. He glanced at you awkwardly and let out a nervous chuckle, a very different reaction than what you had expected from the so-called "bad boy." Perhaps, he wasn't so bad after all.

"So Physics II and Chemistry, right?" You asked," Where are your books? I'll help you with the problems."

Taeyong looked startled at your request, "What books?" The genuine confusion in his face told you that he was utterly baffled.

"Um, the textbooks that you are supposed to have for class?"

Please don't actually tell me that this boy doesn't have his textbooks.

Taeyong gave you a sheepish look, "heh, I...um, I actually don't have the textbooks."

You mentally face-palmed, while attempting to stay calm.

AttEMpTinG tO sTAy CalM. This man is a joke.

Massaging your temples, you gave Taeyong a firm glare, "Go. Get. The. Textbooks. Now."

Never had you seen anyone move so quickly. He was up and gone in a blink of an eye, his ears a cherry red.

Five minutes later, he was back, huffing and puffing with his burden.

"How...the....hell...do...you...carry...these...things?"

"It's called a backpack. Get one."

"Do you want me to break my back?" Taeyong hunched over.

You laughed and flicked him on the side of the head, playfully.

"College doesn't pay your medical bills. Now, flip to the first page."

"Dang, I thought that you would forget."

Tutoring was easier than you expected, especially since Taeyong now had the actual material to help him study for his classes that he was apparently failing.

"Make sure you practice setting up the problems on page 230 for Physics II. For chemistry, practice identifying molecular bonds," you said when tutoring was over. Taeyong looked up from his textbook and nodded.

"Thank you, Y/N," he said with sincerity, which kind of made your heart melt a little.

You knew that Taeyong was at least a decent person, it was just that he didn't have the motivation to study all the time, most likely because he didn't actually have the right material for his classes. But other than that simple problem, which had been corrected, easily, you found his company a little more enjoyable. Certainly more enjoyable than the company you had endured when you had first met him.

"I'll see you on Saturday at the library, again?"

You looked up from packing your bag and smiled back at Taeyong, "Yup, see you at 5:00."

__________________

Taeyong's POV

one day later

Taeyong dribbled the ball down the court, sidestepping around the purple-haired boy that blocked him. Nearing the basket, he jumped, letting the ball arch gracefully through the air and watched, satisfied as it passed through the net without touching the rim. A perfect shot.

From the sidelines, he heard his teammates cheering him on and glanced over to give them a childish grin.

The purple-haired boy scowled a little, but Taeyong walked over and patted him on the back, "It's just practice before the real game, tonight, ChenLe, don't get yourself so down about me beating you."

"Next up, Lucas vs. Jisung!" Taeyong heard Mark call out. Well, this game would be interesting. He walked over to the stands, grabbing a water bottle from the cooler.

"Wow, you did great," Taeyong looked up at the handsome glossy-haired boy, Jaehyun, and gave him a high five.

"You think we can beat Dream, this time?"

He smirked, "Definitely."

A bit of commotion coming from the court diverted their attention to the showdown between Lucas and Jisung.

"Dang, Jisung grew, again," he heard Jaehyun mutter, "Hey, Renjun!"

Across the court, one of the Dreamies looked up, his blonde hair catching the sunlight, "Yo, what's up?"

"How does it feel to stand next to the maknae?"

"Ya! I'm not that short!" From somewhere, they could hear ChenLe's dolphin laugh, "At least I'm not as short as Ten!"

"Honey, who needs height when their vocals belong to the angels?" Taeyong looked over to find his teammate, Chittaphon, AKA Ten, glaring across at Renjun. The rest of Taeyong's team, NCT U, let out a collective ooh. Taeyong rolled his eyes.

Focusing back on the game, he watched as the blue-haired boy launched himself into the air with grace, dunking the ball into the hoop with ease. Lucas, Taeyong knew, might have height, but Jisung was faster. Maknae on top.

Movement from beyond the fence caught his eye, no doubt that word that 18 of the university's cutest boys had reached the ears of more than a dozen giggling girls, who were now cheering and filming their practice. Taeyong looked out beyond the group of fans to the walkway. He spotted the lone girl making her way past the court, her eyes set on the path in front of her, but there was no mistaking that it was indeed Y/N.

For a second, Y/N hesitated, her eyes traveling to the blue-haired boy on the court. Taeyong's mood soured. Then Y/N glanced up, her eyes finding Taeyong easily in amongst his teammates. She smiled and waved. His heart jumped, a little.

Why was it so easy to fall in love with someone who wasn't his?