Champion's Ballad

You released a kick backwards and hit the stone wall behind you. You took in a deep breath once again and cracked your back as you finally finished your workout for the day. You walked over to a bench and grabbed a water bottle and your blade and sat down along the bleachers of the gym you were in. You glanced around and saw a few girls giving you looks of flirts while some guys congratulated you. Honestly, you didn't really care all that much.

You had been training for years to be one of the best warriors in all of Remnant and to do no matter what it took to become the best. You took a swig from your bottle and looked back to the other side of the gym and saw your rival standing there, training with some teachers. She was amazing, cutting through solid bullets before they could even hit her or anyone else. Her name was Pyrrha Nikos.

You and her had known one another for years on end and for the last three you both had been fighting against one another for the title of Mistral Regional Champion. Pyrrha and you could have a fight right now and break the entire gym in half you both were that powerful. That's also when you noticed she walked over to you with a smile on her face. You returned the smile and offered her a drink.

Pyrrha: Hello, (Y/N). Thank you for the water.

(Y/N): Yeah, no problem. How was training today?

Pyrrha: It was a challenge. Though, I think everyone here overestimates me.

(Y/N): I doubt that highly. Still, it must be nice at the top, right?

Pyrrha: Sometimes.

(Y/N): Sometimes? What's up?

Pyrrha: Oh, sorry. Don't worry about it, (Y/N). I'm fine, but thank you nonetheless.

(Y/N): You sure you're ok.

Pyrrha: Yes. Shall we begin?

(Y/N): Down for that.

You and Pyrrha walked over into an arena and got into battle stances. You got your blade ready and pointed it at Pyrrha. She rose her shield and sword. The two of you began to dance around the ring, each eyeing down the other. Finally, you two launched yourselves forward and clashed with one another. You blades clashed and you pushed back against one another. You ran up and roundhouse kicked the shield of Pyrrha and then kicked her in the stomach. She grappled your leg and spun you in the air.

While in the air, you kicked out and got her wrists hit. You landed and pushed back with your hands and sprung towards her. Pyrrha sidestepped you and kicked you in the back. She leapt up after you and extended her spear out and got you in a headlock. Pyrrha threw you to the ground and slammed you into the earth. Before she could kick you, you rolled out of the way and then used your sword to propel yourself forward and kick her. Pyrrha deflected your hit with her shield and grabbed you.

The two of you clashed once again with one another. You pushed back and you summersault kicked towards Pyrrha. She was able to evade and grabbed your ankle and threw you out towards the border of the arena. You balanced yourself back up but Pyrrha was able to knock you out of the arena. You slammed your hands onto the ground in frustration. Pyrrha walked over to you and offered you a hand up.

Pyrrha: Nice work, (Y/N).

(Y/N): Yeah. Sure.

You got up and began to walk away. Pyrrha continued to look at you in a bit of disappointment. You were upset with yourself at failing that quickly. Normally you would fight Pyrrha for a few hours on end. As you were walking past the music hall, you heard an accordion sound playing in the hall. You knew the song and walked inside. Pyrrha would normally do this whenever you were upset.

Surely enough, Pyrrha was playing the instrument with a smile on her face. You rolled your eyes and walked up to the stage. She offered up a smile at you while you remain stone face. You sighed and stopped her from playing the instrument.

(Y/N): Pyrrha. That won't always cheer me up.

Pyrrha: (Y/N), you and I are close friends. So, what is the problem here?

(Y/N): Nothing. Look, don't worry about it. I'm sure you've got better things to do than worry about me.

Pyrrha: That's not true and you know it.

(Y/N): Pyrrha. Save it. Look, I got to get home. It's acceptance day.

Pyrrha: Where are you planning on?

(Y/N): Beacon. I know, long flight but-

Pyrrha: It won't be too long. I was also thinking about Beacon.

(Y/N): Oh? That's...cool. I guess I'll see you later then. Or perchance, not at all.

Pyrrha: What does that mean?

(Y/N): Nothing. Look, I'll see you later. Bye.

You grabbed your stuff and began to walk out. However, you were stopped once you felt a hug from behind you. You glanced back and saw Pyrrha hugging you. She looked up at you and the two of you blushed. She quickly got off of you.

Pyrrha: Sorry! I just...don't know what came over me. I just-

(Y/N): Pyrrha...thanks. I guess. Look, you got a future at Beacon to worry about. I'll see you later.

Pyrrha: (Y/N). (You turn around) What am I to you?

(Y/N): A warrior.

Pyrrha: Is that it?

(Y/N): A friend. If I can call you that?

Pyrrha: (Smiles) Yes. You can.

(Y/N): Look, I seriously have got to go. Later.

Pyrrha: Yes. Yes! Goodbye, (Y/N).

You waved bye to one another and you walked off. You didn't hate Pyrrha. You never could. She was a good friend after all. Although, she did do one thing that annoyed you. She was better. She took opportunities from you and subsequently, your family. It was so annoying as you placed so much effort into your life and training only for it to be taken away by her. Your level of hatred for that was unnatural.

Whatever, that didn't matter now. As it stands, you were on your way after a long day of work and a quick hug from Pyrrha. That was lovely. She was so strong yet, it felt so soft. So desperate. Something that you should be concerned about. But she was the rival. When it came to competing against her in life, you couldn't show concern. No matter how desperate that hug felt to you.

You got home and grabbed a quick drink. You walked into the family room and saw your dad asleep on the couch. You sighed and walked over and grabbed a blanket and pulled it over him. Being a single father and working two jobs was tiring to say the least. But he did it all for you. He even refused to take your victory money. Mom...mom left you guys after you were born. It tore you up, tore your dad up even more.

After around a hour of being home, you got an email with your test results from Beacon. You took in a deep breath before clicking the link. You began to read the lengthy letter. You assumed you were rejected since Pyrrha was entering Beacon too. However, the more you read, the more you realized and when you saw the final sentence, you cried internally.

WELCOME TO BEACON, (Y/N)!

(Y/N): HELL YEAH!

You then heard a rummaging from downstairs and your father ran in with a knife.

Father: Someone hurting you?! DAMN THEM!

(Y/N): Dad, Dad. Relax. Sorry. Got excited.

Father: Did you-?

(Y/N): Got in? Yes. I got in!

Your father laughed and hugged you. He gave you a playful noogie and you two playfully boxed. Your scroll then rang and you quickly answered it.

(Y/N): Hello?

Pyrrha: (Y/N)? I got into Beacon!

Oh...so the rivalry continues.