The Bridge

The alarm blared at your side, telling you that you now needed to wake up. You groaned slightly and slowly began to sit up on your bed. After taking in a large yawn, you slapped your lips together and looked at your scroll for some morning news before getting cleaned up. You read the first news title and a mixture of emotions filled you. "Pyrrha Nikos claims Mistral Championship Third Year in a Row".

You were happy for her, she deserved that win. However, the way she got up to that position was beating you, brutally. You know she had her own motivations to become better than she currently was. However, it wasn't that helpful since you too were trying to support someone close to you.

You walked out of the room and you could hear the floorboards creak after each step. You got down into the foyer of your home and saw the boarded up windows once again. This is what you hated about tournaments in Mistral. It cost money to get into the fight but you get nothing for coming in the top 10. And with your father trying to get you exposure and get you into more fights, moneywise, you two weren't the best.

You grabbed some cereal and began to eat. You could hear your father snoring on the couch again, passed out after working himself to death the previous day. You sighed again and kept eating your food. You got changed into some running clothes and took off towards the top of Mistral. You hated the elite at the top, but never did mind one other person. You saw press surrounding her home as she walked.

Every Saturday, you and Pyrrha would run around 9 until 12. She waved off to you and ran or leapt past the press and began to run alongside you.

Pyrrha: Morning, (Y/N).

(Y/N): Hey. Congrats on last night.

Pyrrha: Thanks.

(Y/N): I take it some big celebration was in order.

Pyrrha: Yes. Mother and Father hired a few people for a victory party.

(Y/N): That must've been a nightmare last night. How'd you sleep with all that outside?

Pyrrha: I went to sleep around 3. I had to be a good host and stay with all guests and employees.

You nodded along, a fake smile on your face. You hated her smile. It was so clueless. She knew you were trying to beat her! And she always rubbed it in your face. Sometimes you wanted to punch her in her perfect teeth and smile while you did. Despite that intention, Pyrrha was still relatively close to you.

She was a good person, clueless you're certain, but sweet. The two of you ran up to Haven Academy, waved hi to Professor Lionheart and began to run back down the mountain. The two of you passed by venders, fans and a collection of other folk. The two of you then entered a small lunch joint, grabbed some food, ate and continued your run back down the mountain. While you were running, you realized Pyrrha began to take the lead once again.

You were so annoyed. She didn't deserve to take this from you. You always ran longer than her. You always worked harder than you. You deserved this win! You began to increase your speed, slowly catching up to her. Pyrrha glanced back and gave you that clueless smile and began to run in pace with you. You grew a bit annoyed and continued to follow after her at the same pace.

The two of you ran together with one another, maintaining the same pace with one another. The two of you ran with one another for a bit longer until a large bridge connecting two mountains with one another came up.

Pyrrha: (Y/N)...what are you trying to do?

(Y/N): What do you mean? I'm just trying to get past.

Pyrrha: Why? What do you get out of it?

(Y/N): I get to beat you! I get make my father proud. And earn him some cash! I need...to beat you!

You began to struggle. Almost feeling like the world and air was trying to suffocate you. You pulled your collar a bit as we approached the bridge. You kept running, slowly getting slower and slower compared to the invincible girl. However, that only motivated you even more to beat her. You weren't going to let Pyrrha beat you again. You couldn't!

Finally, the two of you began to run along the bridge, moving faster and faster and the air around you trying to kill you. As you were running, you began to slow more which earned Pyrrha's attention. She stopped, but still moved her legs and dashed back to you.

Pyrrha: Need some help?

(Y/N): No! I need...(pants) to beat you. (Pants) No matter the cost.

Pyrrha: Alrighty.

Pyrrha began to run back across the bridge, she began to sing that damn song that she always did. It was so annoying as she would do so with that clueless smile on her face. You grew enraged a bit and began to run after her. As you both got to the center of the bridge, the air fully began to suffocate you. Pyrrha ran back and gave you another clueless look.

Pyrrha: Do you feel like you're about to die?

(Y/N): (Pants) Yes.

Pyrrha: Good. I thought we were friends. But I see how that's not possible.

(Y/N): (Pants) PY-Pyrrha. What are-are you-

Pyrrha: I thought we were one in the same, (Y/N). I but see how naive I was.

Pyrrha grabbed your arm and dragged you over to the ledge.

(Y/N): Pyrrha! Stop playing around!

Pyrrha: Who said I was. You wanted this. You focus on nothing but beating me. But you can't. You can never beat me, (Y/N). No matter how hard you try. You will always lose.

You began to hit Pyrrha's wrist to get her off of you. However, nothing was stopping her from her mission. Pyrrha turned back to you, now on her face was a creepy smile that said a thousand words without even a second thought. Horror began to fill throughout your body and terror struck you. You resisted harder but Pyrrha was still able to drag you effortlessly.

As you got to the edge, Pyrrha began to hum her mother's song once again and began to throw you off of the bridge. You screamed as you fell to your death, the only thing you could hear was the song from Pyrrha.

Your eyes burst open and you began to pant and take in deep breaths. A door opened and you saw Gure and Burly run in with Silver right behind them.

(Y/N): Guys? What-where am I? What happened?

Gure: Pyrrha ran in and got us. You took a pretty mean fall. Right off the dormitory.

You groaned and held your head in pain. Silver walked beside you and handed you a bag. You glanced inside and saw a sandwich along with some crackers.

Silver: Just in case you were hungry.

(Y/N): It was Burly's idea, wasn't it?

Burly: It was.

Silver: It was Burly's idea.

You slowly began to form a smile and laughed. Soon enough, Gure joined in as did Burly. You glanced over and saw Silver with a smile on his face, holding in a laugh. Unknown to you though, Pyrrha was standing outside your room, tears in her eyes.