Chapter 2 : Run Boy Run

wc: 3830
cc: 20195
(17 Years Ago)

The bell for dinner rings. All eight of us jog down the stairs. We stand in front of our chairs, waiting for our father to arrive. He finally shows and pulls out his chair, staring at us for a few seconds.

"Sit." He says, giving us permission. The chairs scrape against the floor and that sound is replaced by our forks and knives scratching our plates.

I sat on Allison's right, looking up and glancing at everyone. Allison and Luther share a shy smile. Diego carves into his chair with a knife. Klaus rolling what I think is a blunt and Ben is reading a book. When I look at Five, he was staring at dad. Dad was staring back, though, and Vanya was looking at Five too. Five stabs his knife into the table, making a loud clang.

"Number Five?" Dad asks, knowing all of the attention was on Five.

"I have a question." Five says.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." Dad raises his knife, motioning to the record player in the background.

"I want to time travel." I almost spit out my food.

"No." Five looks eager so I stop eating, waiting for this to play out.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." Five stands up and blue covers him as he jumps from his chair to next to me and our father.

"See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared to the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn." He says, pausing to drink his wine.

"Well, I don't get it." Five says, unnoticeably shaking his leg.

"Hence the reason you're not ready." Five looks at Vanya and she shook her head. I grab his hand that is in his pocket under the arm of my chair, squeezing it lightly.

"I've got this." He mouths to me, shaking my hand off.

"I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now I forbid you to talk about this anymore." Dad says, putting his things down, finally looking at Five. I scoot my chair out a little bit, ready to run if he did. Just as I thought, Five walks off. I follow after him, having to run because he was a few paces in front of me.

"Number Five! Number Eight! You haven't been excused!" Father yells after us.

"Five, come back." I say, we were so close he could hear me. But he didn't respond. I roll my eyes, grabbing his wrist but he jumps as I did, bringing us both forward into the future.

"Not ready, my ass." He scoffs. I jump on his back, trying to make him stop. He jumps... again, bringing us into winter.

"Five, quit it." I am falling off each time he jumps. Trying to adjust my position and hold on tighter, he jumps again.

"God damnit." I say as I fall off his back. Mine hit the rough ground and I curse. I definitely was not expecting this.

"Ah, shit." I slowly stand up, holding my head as I did so. I gasp as I look around. There was nothing here.

"Five... What the hell happened here?" I ask him. Not letting him reply, I turn back towards the academy.

"No..." I gasp for air quietly. I run back to the academy, he follows after me.