Chapter 5 : Number Five

wc: 4448 (this def didn't disappoint) This = Flashback
cc: 23304

(Future)

Five shakes me awake. I groan. "Do you remember that, uh, little mansion just outside the city limit?" I nod a response. "Well, it turns out the wine cellar was untouched. Picked up a few cases of your favorite Bordeaux."

"You drink way too much." I chuckle.

"Ah, that's an exaggeration. I don't drink too much. You know, I work hard all day. I- Why would you even say that?" I laugh loudly, putting a weak hand on his shoulder. I look over to Delores, the mannequin that has just been sitting there for four days.

We hear someone walk on the rocks. Our heads snap toward the sound. Five picks up his gun and aims it at the source. "Who the hell are you?" He asks.

"We're here to help." The girl says, stepping toward us.

"Tell me why I shouldn't put a bullet through your head right now!" Five yells.

"Because..."

"Five, she said 'we'." I tell him.

"Who else is with you?" He asks. We see a woman with white hair wave at us, basically coming out of nowhere.

"If you did..." The woman takes of her bulky sunglasses. "You wouldn't hear the offer I'm about to make you. Which would me rather tragic, given you twos... current circumstances. We work for an organization called the Commission. We are tasked with the preservation of the time continuum through manipulations and removals." She continued.

"I don't understand." Five says, lowering his gun a little.

"Sometimes, people... make choices that alter time. Free will, don't get me started. When that happens, we dispatch one of our agents to... eliminate the threat." Five raises his gun again defensively.

"No, no, no. You misunderstand me. You're not a target. You're a recruit. I've come to offer you two jobs, Number Five and Number Eight." I roll my eyes. "We've had our eye on you for quite some time. And we think you have a lot of potential, especially together. Your survival skills have made you quite a celebrity back at headquarters. That and you two's ability to jump through time." She says, putting her cigarette thing in her mouth.

I shake my head, "I can't-"

"There's a lot of things you can do, Number Eight." She cuts me off.

"But I'm ordinar-"

"So you saying that we... we could actually leave here? Go... go back?" Five asks, interrupting me.

"In return for 5 years of service. Once your contracts are done. You can retire to the time and place of your choosings with a pension plan to boot." This was a great deal, but I wanted to be home before 5 years.

"If you can alter time, why not just stop all of this from ever happening?" Five asks.

"That is quite impossible, I'm afraid. You see... all of this, it was supposed to happen." She says, motioning around to the nothingness around us.

"That's insane. The end of everything?" I scoff.

"Not everything. Just the end of... something. So... do we have an agreement?" The younger girl asks.

She holds her hand out to mine and the woman holds hers to Five's. Five shakes the woman's hand.

I hesitate, but I shake the girl's.

(Now)

Me and Five walk around the house in silence, hand in hand, me with a semi-limp. I hear Klaus sigh. "Oh, boy." Klaus stretches, we see him scratching all over his body. Five and I look at each other, smirking.