Chapter 3

The train ride seems to be taking quite literally forever, our station never seeming to arrive. Yet, that doesn't damper my spirits as I enjoy the Pevensie family's company. My subtle guesses of their ages were surprisingly correct, causing them all to believe I am a mind reader - I wish. As Lucy begins to babble on about her collection of stuffed animals, I notice a rather old and boring station appearing out the window. It's practically falling apart, with a wooden bench crumbling under the sun. The only interesting part about it is the 'Coombe Holt' weathered sign balancing on a wooden beam, giving it a little bit of character. Letting out a sigh, I exit the compartment behind everyone else - hoping that my slowness will magically change the look of the station. Yet, as I come to stand still atop the platform I realise that this is indeed our stop. The train begins to leave, becoming quieter and quieter in distance, as the six of us stand here in silence. Only it suddenly breaks as the sound of a car driving along the gravel dirt catches everyone's attention. My eyes widen ever so slightly before I dash after my brother toward the edge of the platform. I've never met a Professor before - the only adults I meet are my school teachers or my neighbours. Still, I wonder what he is like. Will he be nice and friendly? Or will he banish us to a locked cupboard? As I convince myself to focus on the positives, I watch in horror as the car speeds past without any hesitance. An awkward silence hangs over us all, nobody daring to say anything. Well, that is until Susan let's out an exasperated huff.

"The Professor knew we were coming."

I shrug at her words, knowing that if she can't figure this out - none of us can. I've figured out she is rather logical and factual, the complete opposite of myself and her younger sister. Lucy could give me a run for my money when it comes to her imagination, which annoys the eldest girl to no end. Suddenly, a harsh voice captures my attention from behind us all.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled?"

Its Edmund, standing by himself with a scrunched up nose. It's honestly the first time I've heard him speak properly, aside from the occasional complaint on the train. Technically this is also a complaint, but in question form. Still, no one answers him as a sudden whip crack echoes through the countryside. I furrow my eyebrows and take hesitant steps off the platform to come side by side with Andrew, gripping his arm tightly in apprehension. Suddenly, a beautiful black horse comes trotting into view, with a wooden carriage being pulled behind it. It's a rather magical sight, making me wonder just what type of Professor this man really is. As the horse pulls to a stop, I glance over the woman riding it with a gulp. She seems rather strict, with her brown hair turning grey. It's pulled into a bun but I can easily make out the streaks of different colour. Her glasses are perched atop her nose as she glances down at us all, her eyes piercing through my soul.

"Mrs Macready?"

Andrew asks with uncertainty, his voice seemingly loud in the quite countryside. The woman nods at the mention of her name, making me realise that this is in fact the Professor's housekeeper - she looks to be the one we must watch out for. All of a sudden I have a feeling that maybe this won't be as fun as I first thought.

"Afraid so. Well, is this it then? Haven't you brought anything else?"

Her voice reminds me of a strict school teacher, pursing her lips together as she squints down at us all. Gulping, I glance over my shoulder to see Peter shaking his head, standing protectively in front of Lucy as she shakes her head viscously. As the eldest of our small group, he clears his throat before answering Mrs Macready's question.

"No ma'am, it's just us."

She mumbles something under her breath that I can't quite catch, before nodding her head toward the carriage. Hesitantly I walk beside Andrew, admiring the wooden carriage with wide eyes. The intricate details appear to be handcrafted, almost glittering in the sunlight. Carefully I throw my luggage into it along with the others, before watching as the two eldest boys climb into the carriage. It takes them a lot of effort to heave themselves up due to its height, but they eventually make it. Ignoring his loud panting, I lock hands with Andrew as he pulls me upward - landing with a thud on the wooden planks. Sitting down, I brush out my dress to rid myself of dirt as I catch a glimpse of Lucy sitting herself beside me. I send her a small smile, one which she returns easily, before watching Andrew and Peter hurl up the last two. It's quite entertaining, actually, watching Peter and Edmund argue like cats and dogs. Although, something makes me think this is going to be a regular occurrence.