Chapter 5

Gasping, I stare wide eyed at the surprising yet intriguing sight - there is an entire snowy forest in front of  Lucy and I. A forest, like an actual forest. With trees and shrubs and plants - a forest. I can feel my mouth drop open, gobsmacked as I gaze across the landscape. It's quite pretty from what I can tell, and my curiosity is peaking. Slowly, I feel the presence of Lucy inching closer which cause me to grip onto her hand tightly. With a squeeze of comfort, I shuffle forward into the snow with Lucy by my side. I stare around in wonder as I weave my way through the large trees - little tiny snowflakes falling softly from the sky, landing in my hair and startling my face. It's a magical wonderland - a secret, magical wonderland. Leading Lucy around a shrub with icicles dangling off its leaves, I come to a sudden stop as a lamppost appears before us. The flickering light looks to be the only warmth in the entire forest so far, the brightness illuminating the areas that appear dark and gloomy. As my eyes travel downward, the lamppost begins to get frostier until it practically blends in with the snow. It's an enchanting sight, even more so than the forest inside a wardrobe. I feel Lucy let go of my hand causing me to glance after the girl as she approaches the lamppost in wonder. I watch as her hand touches the post, her small hand print making a mark within the frost before she glances over her shoulder at me - her smile blinding with happiness and curiosity. However, the moment is cut short as a twig snaps in the close distance. Whipping my head around to see the cause, all I am met with is snow and trees - not a good sign. I slowly approach Lucy and place a hand on her shoulder as a means of comfort and support, trying to act a lot braver than I actually feel. The forest becomes eerily silent before a sudden figure appears from behind a rather large tree. I scream loudly, out of shock and fear - yet the noise blends in with Lucy's squeal and the figures yelp. Without thinking clearly, I pull Lucy behind the lamppost in hopes it will protect us - although as I shiver I realise this isn't the best idea. Carefully glancing around the post, I can detect the figure is a male for his beard is rather prominent from behind his hiding place. Scattered around him are a few parcels, one ripped in half due to the snow. Feeling slightly bad, I slowly straighten up and move further away from the post - only my left hand grasping it tight. Suddenly, I watch in surprise as Lucy shuffles toward the man with a determined look upon her face. She picks up a parcel and gestures to the man, whom slowly etches out from behind the tree. Only, as he appears under the light of the lamppost, I yelp under my breath in surprise. He is not a man, for his legs are those of a goat with hooves and oddly shaped knees. He even has horns atop his head and ears sticking out to the side - how I didn't notice those before is beyond me. 

"Were you hiding from us?" 

Lucy's voice echoes out through the forest, the innocent tone startling me slightly. I forgot she was standing so close to the odd man. Very hesitantly I approach the two, standing behind Lucy in protective yet fearful nature - the strange figure shuddering in either fear or coldness I can't tell. 

"W-well I - um - I didn't want to scare you." 

His words confuse me yet sends a feeling of warmth around me - we haven't even met a creature like before and he already seems to care about us. It's rather strange really, but maybe it's just how he was brought up. Clearing my throat slightly, I glance at the man with a soft smile as hopes not to scare him. 

"If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you?" 

I speak as politely as I can, praying that I did not offend him in anyway. The odd man, however, seems to frown in confusion rather than offence - almost as if he didn't expect us to ask such a question. 

"Well I'm a - I'm a faun." 

His tone makes it seem as though it is the most obvious thing in world that he is answering - as though Lucy and I are dumb. Perhaps I am though, because I have read quite a bit about the mythical creature that is a faun - but that's all they were, mythical. These magical creatures were part human and part goat, with the special ability to play magical instruments that created music from almost anything - they came from the mystical knowing of fertility and forests. Maybe they aren't so mythical after all.