Chapter 4

Yawning, I slowly stretch my body in a way that wakes me up, sighing as I do so

Yawning, I slowly stretch my body in a way that wakes me up, sighing as I do so. My new bed is surprisingly comfortable, considering it's only a single. Gazing out the window, I expect to see birds flying about and the sun shining down. Only instead all I see is miserable weather - rain and wind. Of course my promise to Lucy was going it backfire. Groaning slightly I push myself out of bed, making my way to the wardrobe in order to get dressed for the day. Grabbing the first dress I see, along with a cardigan to match, I make my way toward the door. I figure the library is where the Pevensie girls will be, considering they're not in the room. Closing the wooden door behind me, I begin to make my way down the hall and to the left, trying to remember the directions Andrew gave me last night. Luckily, I make it with no mistakes. Pushing open the door, I notice Edmund meddling with a seat whilst Lucy sits by herself, away from the group. She's staring out at the rain with a dull look on her face, as though bored and upset. Sighing, I make my way toward her with a soft smile - ignoring Susan's voice as she pipes up. 

"Gas-tro-vascular. Come on you two. Gastrovascular." 

I guess it must be some sort of game they have been playing. Sitting down opposite Lucy, I gaze out the window too as I hear Andrew sigh drastically. Peter, however, is the one to answer. 

"Is it Latin?" 

Hearing no answer, I peer over my shoulder to see Susan squinting harshly at the book - if she squints any harder it will hurts up in flames. With a nod of her head, I roll my eyes and gaze back out the window once again, understanding why Lucy looks rather bored. 

"Is it Latin for the worst game ever invented?" 

I giggle slightly at Edmund's words before clearing my throat, sharing a glance with Lucy who seems to be holding back her laughter. I hear the large book being slammed shut, which causes Lucy to suddenly leap out of the bay window - pulling me with her. We reach the couch Andrew and Peter are sitting on, Lucy throwing my hand down as she approaches her brother slowly. 

"We could play hide-n-seek?" 

Her question causes my eyes to widen. Of course, hide-n-seek in this house would be so much fun - imagine all the secret entrances we could find. My eagerness, however, deflates as Peter sighs sarcastically. 

"But we're already having so much fun!" 

Rolling my eyes ever so slightly, I lean over the back of the couch with a pleading expression. I try and give myself puppy dog eyes just as I did before my father went away to war - the results always ending in success. 

"Come on 'drew. Please!" 

I try and convince my brother, pouting my lip to sell the plead. I hear Lucy add a 'pretty please' in the mixture, which seems to be the breaking point. The two boys send each other knowing glances before Peter closes his eyes, placing a hand over them in order to submerge is vision in darkness. 

"1, 2, 3 -" 

Peter's counting echoes out through the library, etching a smile onto my face. Ignoring the complaints from Edmund, I am ushered out of the room by an eager Lucy. Loosing all spatial awareness, I let her drag me around the mansion in order to find the perfect hiding place - hopefully a secret one. The further we run, however, the more my spirits dampen as this house seems plain and ordinary - very large, but empty. Eventually Lucy pulls me toward a curtain, but as she does the two of us are shoved out the way by a hard shoulder. 

"I was here first." 

I glare at Edmund, rolling my eyes at his annoying behaviour before running after Lucy through a maze of hallways once again. Trying to get the furthest away from the young male Pevensie as possible, I overtake Lucy until we reach a darkened hallway - two doors are glistening in the light yet the first doesn't open. Glancing at Lucy, the young girl opens the second door with a grin before rushing into the room without a seconds hesitation. Quickly following her lead, I run into the room whilst closing the door softly behind me - my focus solely on the brass door handle making zero sound. However, as I spin around on my heel to find somewhere for us to hide, my eyes widen in surprise. Standing in front of Lucy and I is a large white sheet covering something strange. It is the only thing in the room, making it seem eerie and quite. Gulping hesitantly, I approach the piece of material along with Lucy - our curiosity getting the better of us. Slowly, very slowly, Lucy reaches up and grasps the material between her hands - heaving it down to the floor with ease. I gasp and it's as though times around me stops. Standing proudly in front of Lucy and I is a large wardrobe, the soft brown colour glowing in the minimal light bouncing around the room. Just like everything else in the house, there are intricate carvings along its wooden frame - expect this time they seem to be sparkling, filled with magic. Without loosing my train of eyesight, I run my hand over the handle before opening the wooden door. A few mothballs fall out, indicating that no one has been here for a very long time. Perfect. 

"-80, 81, 82-" 

Peter's voice startles me, causing me to jump slightly into the air in surprise. I notice Lucy giving me a sly smile, before stepping into the wardrobe. Shaking my head in amusement, I follow her actions and step into the wardrobe with wonder. Leaving the door open slightly so we can breathe, I shuffle backwards in order to reach the back of the wardrobe. My eyes never leave the door, and the presence of Lucy is lost among the fluffy winter coats surrounding me until she gasps loudly. Frowning, I move to help her before I too gasp. For my hand touches something sharp and cold - almost like a frozen branch. I retract my hand almost immediately, catching Lucy's gaze quickly between two very large coats to my right. She looks just as shocked as I feel. With one last breath, I spin around on my heel and walk forward, wondering why on earth a tree branch can be found in the back of the wardrobe.