Chapter 6

Giggling slightly, I watch in fascination as a bird shakes off the fallen clump of snow that landed on its wings. It's an adorable sight. My eyes trail back to the snowy land only for my breath to hitch in amazement. Finally, after what feels like forever but in reality is probably only ten minutes, we have reached Mr Tumnus's home. The door is beautiful, reminding me of the wardrobe back in the mansion - carvings embedded into the wooden door. Surrounding the door is silver rocks, almost hiding the door from plain sight - almost like a secret passage. Slowly unhooking my arm from Mr Tumnus's, I stand still in awe. Everything about this place has been crystal white due to the falling snow but this radiates a certain warmth. I notice Lucy and our new friend continue forward, completely oblivious to my shell-shocked state. Not that I mind, for my attention remains solely on the beauty of the entrance to Mr Tumnus's home.

"Come on."

The deep voice shocks me, causing me to jump in a startled manner. My focus changes to my new faun friend, a large grin etched onto his face as he stares at me with a raised eyebrow. Smiling sheepishly, I quickly run through the snow in order to reach the front door. I can feel the snow becoming sluggish as I do, the coolness numbing my toes slightly. However, as I reach the open door, it doesn't seem to bother me as much. The carvings are even more intricate than I first realised, for up close they seem to move around - dancing practically. Shaking my head in wonder, I send Mr Tumnus a soft smile as I pass him into his home. He returns it before disappearing into a room off to the side, leaving me to admire the main area by myself - Lucy already doing just that. The home has a warmth to it, the fire crackling in the corner with a few chairs scattered in front of it. It reminds me of a sanctuary, the books reeling me in and making me feel awfully comfortable. I slowly walk down the few steps from the entrance, admiring the antiques covering a few shelves toward my right. As I do, I notice Lucy holding a framed photograph in her hand - my curiosity peaking. Approaching her, I peer over her shoulder to see a male faun that could not be anymore than Mr Tumnus himself. He too has a beard, but rather cold looking eyes and a tight lipped smile on his face.

"Ah, that was my father."

Glancing over at my friend, I notice the similarities instantly - along with the dropped smile upon his face. I frown slightly, but before I can say anything, Lucy's voice echoes out.

"He has a nice face. You look like him."

I nod in agreement as Mr Tumnus approaches us slowly, a tray of tea in his hands. He places them down onto a small table in front of the fire with a sigh, his eyes trailing up to us both with what can only be described as regret floating in his eyes.

"No, I'm not like him at all."

The tone in his voice causes my heart to ache for him, the similarities between him and Andrew are uncanny - always being forced to grow up like their father. Maybe things don't have to be that way. As silence creeps up the walls of the room, Lucy breaks it with a pitiful sigh.

"Our father's are away at war."

I grimace, memories flashing through my mind of the day my father left. It wasn't not pleasant, and it took my almost a month to recover. We have a special bond, and I'm afraid when I see him again it will be broken.

"My father went away to war too. But that was a long time ago. Before this dreadful winter."

Mr Tumnus says, the despise rather obvious in his voice. Deciding that I need to cheer him up, I spin around to face him with wide eyes and a large smile.

"Winters not all bad. There's snowball fights, ice skating. Oh, and Christmas!"

The faun in front of me chuckles at my enthusiasm before he shakes his head. His eyes hold a thoughtfulness to them, as though trying to find the right words.