e i g h t

___________

You gazed back at Leon Kennedy's crystal blue eyes as you both sat beside one another in the dimly lit locker room. He tilted his head slightly at your sudden staring session but thought nothing of it, considering what he had just promised for you. You were shocked that you would even ask him something like that, the words unknowingly slipping from your parted lips. You could only imagine the amount of weight you just planted on the rookie's shoulders. Stupid, stupid, stupid! you scolded yourself internally.

You tore away your gaze, lowering your head to the ground with a sigh.

"We should get going," Leon said, standing up to his feet in front of you. "There wasn't much we could find here."

Hearing his words, you lifted your eyes to meet his. Leon's expression softened as your eyes locked, a slight, reassuring smile cracking upon his lips. He put out a gloved hand to you, your gaze flickering down to the tips of his exposed fingers then back up to his ocean eyes. Your heart felt like it was melting, the way he looked at you. For a moment, you believed that the rookie cop would indeed do everything he possibly could to help you get home.

The only choice you had now was to trust him.

You bit your lip and placed your hand in Leon's, his fingers closing around yours. In a single motion, he gently pulled you up to your feet.

"Before we go anywhere," Leon started, gesturing to your handgun in the holster at your waist, "we need to take care of that thing we talked about."

"Right," you nodded. You pulled out your weapon, making sure it wasn't aimed at the cop who stood just inches away from you. He took it from your small hands and pulled out his hefty flashlight from his holster.

"Now, if you wanna shoot while holding up your flashlight," Leon began, taking a few steps back, "you'll have to positon your hands like this—"

The rookie cop turned his body, facing the metal lockers before aiming his gun with his right wrist firmly against his left one beneath it. You raised your brows, seeing that the way he held both your weapon and his flashlight made it so that he could light up any dark hallway that would be ahead while aiming directly in front of him, too. Why didn't I think of this? you thought stupidly.

"The wrist of your dominant hand should be firmly against your other," Leon then said, turning his head in your direction. "See how the flashlight is still aimed ahead?"

You nodded at the attractive cop, locking the new skill into your brain. Leon smiled lightly and lowered his arms before returning the handgun into your possesion. You held it between your small fingers, breathing deeply. It suddenly felt as if you were getting turned into a trained assassin. For a moment, you felt like a monster. All this killing you had to do to survive pushed your sanity over the edge. You hoped that this would all be over soon...

CLANK!

A frightened gasp escaped your parted lips, stealing yours and Leon's gaze. You heard faint noises coming from the other side of the men's locker room door, but you couldn't tell where exactly it came from. Either way, you knew that they were nearby. You and the rookie cop couldn't stay here any longer, despite it being safe for the time being. The secret passage... you said internally. We have to find it. Hiding out won't get us anywhere.