n i n e

____________

You and your hero stood in the center of the wooden walkway on the second floor of the colossal library within the RPD. Lt. Marvin Branagh tuned in through Leon's radio just moments ago and instructed you both to return to the main hall where he still rested, informing you and the rookie that he had something of great importance to show. You hoped that it was good news, maybe even some more useful information on how to find the secret passageway. Eager to head back to somewhere safe, you pulled out your gun from your holster, gazing up at the cop who stood before you as you held the weapon tightly at your side.

"Let's head back," you said firmly. Leon looked up from your gaze, scanning around the unfamiliar area.

"We'll retrace our steps as soon as we've searched around a bit," he then said before spinning around on his heel, peering over the railing of the walkway. "Over there."

Kennedy pointed over to a ladder that led to the ground floor of the library. He began forward, letting his gloved hand glide across the wooden banister of the walkway as he paced ahead. You immediately followed behind him, holding your gun tightly at your side still. You stayed behind Leon's broad figure as you the of two approached the rusted metal that reached down to the wooden boards below.

"I'll head down first," Kennedy said as he proceeded to crouch to his knees, spinning on his heels. You watched him as he slowly climbed down the rungs, the sound of his black boots hitting against the metal bars echoing throughout the room. You kneeled down, finally hearing his steps against the wooden floor below.

"Is it safe to come down?" you questioned, slipping your gun and flashlight back into your holster as you kept your eyes locked onto him.

Your heart fell into your stomach as an engrossing moan suddenly erupted into the atmosphere. Leon spun around on his heel, a soft gasp escaping his lips before he immediately wielded his shotgun. Fuck, not them again! you called internally as you watched from the top of the ladder, fear quickly boiling in your blood.

"I'd stay up there if I were you!" Leon called out to you, aiming his weapon at the staggering lifeless figure.

BANG!

You flinched slightly as the blast from the rookie's shotgun tore through the flesh of the zombie that now stumbled back, falling against the tall book shelf beside it. It wasn't enough to keep the monster down though, because seconds later, it stumbled back onto its two feet. You noticed the torn and dark stained police uniform the creature wore, realizing it was another officer that had turned into one them. You still had no clue how all of this was possible, how an innocent man or woman could completely transform into something so terrifying, so monstrous... Your thoughts were quickly cut off when another figure suddenly staggered from around the corner behind Leon, loud groans escaping from its rotting lips. You gasped as your eyes quickly darted between the creeping zombie and your hero.

"Leon, behind you!"

Kennedy hastily glanced over his shoulder, his eyes widening slightly. Fuck, fuck, fuck, you panicked in your head. You couldn't stay up there and watch any longer. Another second without your help and Leon could be a goner! The moment this thought had crossed your mind was the moment you quickly reached for the metal ladder, scrambling down as fast as possible.

BANG!

Another loud blast erupted into the air behind you and you quickly twisted your body, leaping off the rusty ladder. Your shoes colliding with the wooden floor stole the attention of the creature that still crept close behind your hero's back. You immediately whipped out your hand gun as the menacing and lifeless figure spun on its heel to face you.