Chapter 2-Vanessa

It was almost ten o'clock when I heard the front door close. I sat up in the bed and contemplated on what to say first. He walked in with his shirt unbuttoned, his upper abs playing peek-a-boo with me. I opened my mouth to speak, but he spoke first.

"Look baby, I'm sorry for getting caught up at work, it won't happen again."

He leaned over and planted a wet kiss on my forehead, "I'm about to take a shower."

I watched as he undressed. I looked him over from head to toe. No teeth marks, scratches, or hickies. Maybe he's smarter than I thought. He turned around and caught me checking him out. He smiled and winked at me with those mesmerizing hazel eyes.

"So, what kept you so late at work today?" I asked. He raised his eyebrows,  surprised that I didn't let his charm throw me off track.

"You know, the usual stuff," he murmured.

Usual stuff? He must take me for a fool.

"Like what?" I asked, feeling myself getting irritable.

"You wouldn't understand if I told you. I don't know why you always have to question me!" he yelled.

"You were suppose to be home hours ago," I yelled back, my voice cracking.

"I already told you I was at work!"

He went into the bathroom and slammed the door behind him. How dare he flip the script on me?

I jumped up from the bed and charged into the bathroom that was slowly filling up with steam. He was sitting on the toilet with a white towel wrapped around his lower half.

I stood in front of him, "it's simple, just tell me what you were doing at work that took up so much time."

"Working on cars Vanessa! That's what I do!" He said as he stood up, looking down at me.

"Why didn't you just say that earlier? It makes me think you're lying to me!"

He grabbed my hands and squeezed them.

"Vanessa, you have to trust me in order for this to work."

I hated the thought of trusting him. My intuition told me that he was up to no good, but I didn't have any proof. To him, I was the crazy one who overreacted to everything. He wouldn't understand the pain I went through from my previous relationships. All the times I was cheated on and oblivious to what was happening. If he wanted me to trust him, he had to earn it.

"Look Vanessa," he gently placed each hand on the side of my face, "I promise I'll do better. I'll make it up to you with a date this weekend."

I let out a deep sigh.

"Ok, now go take a shower, you stink." 

I pushed him towards the bathtub. He turned around and grinned at me. I smiled back. Whatever magic he used, it worked this time. If this happened again, I'd have no choice but to investigate more.

I returned to the bedroom and turned off the lights. Chris would always go to sleep early. I'd be up late watching reruns of Martin, fantasizing about what I wanted my marriage to be like. We've been married for four years, and every day has been a struggle lately. We've been working through it because the love we share for each other is undeniable. It's worth fighting for.