Chapter 12-Vanessa

I bent over the toilet and threw up a mixture of clumpy yellow fluid; there were small chunks of ham floating from the omelet I devoured earlier. Jas was being a sweetheart holding my hair up and asking if I was alright. 

When I felt like I was done, I stood up and flushed the toilet. The smell of vomit made me nauseous again, but somehow, I kept it down. I washed my mouth out several times before I headed for the door.

"Jas, do you have any gum?" I asked.

She dug in her purse and handed me a stick of gum.

"You OK auntie?" 

"Yea I'm OK, but I'm gonna have to take you home and reschedule for another day."

"I understand."

I felt bad for disappointing her, but I couldn't risk running into Fred. As I drove to my mom's house my right leg was shaking as I pressed the gas peddle. I was weak and needed to lie down as soon as possible.

I pulled up in the driveway, putting the car in park.

"You're not coming in auntie," she asked as she opened the door.

"No, just tell my mom that I'm not feeling well."

"OK."

I watched as she walked up to the door and rung the doorbell. After a few minutes of no response she ran back to the car and got in.

"No one's home."

"Where is everyone?"

"Grandma must have gone out and my mom is still at work I must have left my key in the house."

I let out a deep sigh as I dialed my mom's number.

"Vanessa? Is everything OK?" she asked.

"Yeah, I was going to drop Jas off but no one's home so I'm going to take her to my house."

"Really?"

"Yes mom, just call me when you get home."

The fact that she was surprised annoyed me even though it shouldn't have. My family has never been to my house. Everyone was scattered around the country and since my mom and sister are the only ones in Florida, I avoided them. I felt like I had to, especially since my sister and I don't get along. My mother could be very nosy. I didn't need her coming to my house trying to run things.

I decided to ask Jas about Fred on our ride home.

"So...this Fred guy that you talk to, have you all gone out yet?" 

She stared out the window as if her mind was somewhere else. Her hesitation to answer confused me.

"What's going on Jas?"

She looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"I lied to him about my age...please don't tell my mom!"

She burst into tears as I reassured her that everything was OK and that I wouldn't tell a soul.

"Did you ever meet him in person?" I rephrased the question, hoping I would get an answer this time.

"No, I never did. He wanted to though."

"Why are you on these dating websites anyway Jas? It can be very dangerous!"