Chapter 16- Christopher

The stench of pee was an insult to my senses. There were five other guys in the waiting cell with me. One was on his knees  in the corner crying out to God, saying he would never do it again. Another was taking a shit and singing a random tune.

This wasn't where I belonged, but it was where I ended up after getting drunk in public. At least that's what the police told me. The last thing I remembered was going into a liquor store and buying some Hennessy. I sat outside on a bench, opened the bottle, and the next thing I knew I was in handcuffs in the back of a patrol car.

"Christopher Jones," a cop called out.

I walked up to the bars and looked down the hall. The old man who was coming to release me couldn't walk any slower. It was about time for him to retire. I wanted to scream at him to hurry up, I wasn't in a rush to go back to my broken home, but I didn't want to be in here a second longer than I had to. 

When the cell opened, I stepped out and followed the officer to a desk. They handed me my belongings and told me that my wife was waiting for me just outside the door. Her eyes were watery, and her clothes were disheveled. I hate that she had to come down here to get me. I was only adding to the stress that she didn't need.

She ran up to me and threw her arms around my neck. I could feel her body relaxing in my arms. There was no need for words at the time.

Once we were home I turned on all the lights in the living room and told Vanessa to have a seat at the dining room table. It was time for us to let everything out and decide if we would continue with this marriage or not. I refused to turn into an alcoholic like my father. I felt my life spiraling out of control. 

I sat across from her at the table, staring at the woman who I thought could do no wrong. Maybe that was the problem. I held her up on a pedestal from the day that I met her. She was an angel in my eyes. Now the image I had of her was tainted and I'm not sure if it could be fixed.

"I need to know everything," I demanded.

"Where do you want me to start?"

"With Fred."

"You know everything."

"But I don't know why."

"Why, what?"

"Why would you have sex with my best friend of all people?"

"I don't know."

I slammed my fist down on the table. She jumped and told me to calm down.

"If you want me to calm down you need to give me more than that."

"OK, he was there for me."

"And I wasn't?"

"You were always working late, making me think that you were cheating...you didn't have time for me."

"So that means you go and fuck my best friend because you're lonely?"

I stared at her. I wanted an answer but there couldn't possibly be one.

"Just divorce me Chris," she said as she threw her arms up in the air.

"Don't try to make me feel bad! I work my ass off at work to pursue my dream and provide more for you! Instead of being grateful for the shit I do you tear me down, accuse me of cheating, and then go out and cheat! Does this shit make any sense to you?"