Chapter 13- Vanessa

I tried to figure out how Chris knew that I was pregnant, but it didn't matter now. 

"I just confirmed it a few days ago, I didn't want to get your hopes up."

"Don't give me that Vanessa, we're best friends, how could you keep this from me?"

"Look who's talking? The guy who cheated on me!"

"Here you go with this..."

"You act as if it's nothing."

"No, I don't. You never gave me a chance to explain. You just kicked me out!"

"What else was I supposed to do? I let you fuck me unprotected and you're out there having sex with someone else!"

"I'm sorry."

"That's it? You're sorry!"

"Don't act like you're perfect Vanessa. You didn't tell me that you're pregnant. I've known you for years and I know there's a reason that you didn't tell me!"

He knew me better than I thought. I could try and convince him for hours, but he wouldn't buy it. My mind went blank. I couldn't think of a legit reason, so I took the conversation in another direction.

"Where's your car?"

"Don't try to change the subject! What's going on?"

I was becoming uneasy from Chris and his prying. If this continued any longer I might break.

"Come on! The guy who I thought was my best friend was out to get me for whatever reason, and now my wife is keeping secrets from me!"

As I opened my mouth to speak, Tiffany's car pulled up. Thank God! I wanted to run up and kiss her. She got out of the car with her face scrunched up. She was coming to argue.

"So, you're out here talking while my daughter is inside?" she asked.

"Look Tiff, I don't have time for this today, as you can see my husband and I are talking. Jas is fine. She's watching TV."

"I knew it was a bad idea when mom told me she was here. You don't know how to take care of kids!"

"She's not five years old Tiffany! You don't have to monitor her every move!"

"When you have kids, then you can give me advice on how to raise mine!"

She stormed into the house and slammed the door. She struck a nerve with me and now my anger could not be concealed. I got up and followed behind her. I could feel Chris on my heels.

"Go get in the car Jas!" Tiffany screamed.

Jas pleaded, "but I wanna stay here."

"If you don't get in...."

Jas sprung up from the couch, giving me a hug before she left. Soon as I heard the door close I spoke.

"Who the hell do you think you are coming into my house like I did something wrong?" My voice cracked as I fought back tears, "you pressed a sensitive button and you know you did!"

"You think I care about your feelings Vanessa? You never cared about mine!"

"That's a lie!"
"When I got my ass beat by the man that I loved where were you? Over here in your nice little house with your husband that you're...."

"Don't go there Tiffany! Is that what this is about? That's why you hate me because I wasn't there for you?"

"That's exactly why! Along with you not caring enough to come by to see your family and a ton of other things!"

"Oh, please Tiffany, you know you're happy I'm not around. I'm a painful reminder of what you wish you could be!"

I knew that this would get to her. I wanted her to feel the pain that I did. She walked up to me. She was close enough to punch me if she wanted to. The hatred in her eyes made it hard for me to believe that she was my sister.

"Mom may have always loved you more, but I have someone who's going to love me unconditionally for the rest of my life, and that's my daughter. Something that you will never have!" she said through clinched teeth.

I took a step back. Lord knows I wanted to hit her.

"That's funny because I'm pregnant now!"

"You're only going to lose this one, just like the others!"

Not able to control myself any longer I opened my hand and slapped her so hard my palm stung. She held her mouth open, rubbing her cheek with her hand.

"Get the fuck out of my house!" Chris shouted.

I almost forgot he was there. I was livid. At that moment, I didn't care if I ever saw her again.

She stormed out of the house with her hand glued to the side of her face.

Chris turned to me with sympathy in his eyes.

"Baby, I don't want her ever stepping foot in this house again."

Without replying I went into the bedroom. After a few minutes Chris joined me.

"Is it OK if I lay down with you?" he asked.

"Yes."

He kicked off his shoes and crawled into bed with me. Taking me in his arms he held me as I cried. I reminisced on the good memories my sister and I shared, wanting to go back in time. I knew the relationship with my mother and niece would suffer because of what happened today.

Chris placed his hand on my stomach and rubbed it. He placed his hand on my forehead.

"Baby you're on fire right now!" he said as he sat up.

I closed my eyes, "It's only because I'm still mad."

"Well you know all this stress isn't good for the baby. I'm going to handle Fred, and you just make sure Tiffany stays far away from you."

I nodded. My brain was in overdrive.

"Daddy loves you," he said as he placed his hand back on my stomach.

I turned towards him, wanting to look him in the eyes.

"We need to talk Chris."

"I know, and I'm going to be completely honest with you about everything."

"So will I."

"Where do we start?"

"I wanna know how and when you met Kim."

"Are you sure this won't make you more stressed baby? I mean...you just got into a big altercation with your sister."

I stared into space.

"Yes, I'm sure. I want to deal with it all now and put this shit behind us."

"OK. I met her the night when we had the argument about......"

The sound of the doorbell interrupted him. I got up out of the bed after telling Chris that I would get it. If this was Tiffany coming back for revenge I was ready. I looked out of the peephole, wishing that I was dreaming.

"Who is it?" Chris asked as he came up behind me.

I didn't want to answer. I had no idea why Fred was at our door.