Chapter 13

I don't remember the phone falling out of my hand onto the floor, I didn't hear it fall. In fact, it seemed as though I had become numb to everything around me. I had forgotten where I was for a moment before I turned around and noticed my best friends in the world, staring at me with confusion in their eyes.

I was also confused. It was as if I had forgotten what had happened, and everything had gone back to normal. Only that wasn't the case. The truth of the matter was that Leo had been shot.

As soon as my mind remembered that crucial piece of information again, it seemed as though everything in me shut down. I don't remember the painful sob that left me, or the moment that I collapsed to the ground, or when my friends and family ran over to comfort me. I do remember the pain I felt, the fear that was tearing through my soul.

A million thoughts were running through my head, and yet I could only focus on one. I had to go see him. I needed to be with him.

That was how I got to the moment I am now, on my way to Italy, flying on my dad's private jet. I was accompanied by both of my parents, who were going to show their support for the Moretti family. The girls, although they wanted to come along, couldn't due to school, but they were still texting me their support.

This flight felt neverending, but there was only an hour left before we landed. My mind was too preoccupied with worst-case scenarios to do anything but look out the airplane window the whole flight. By now, it was early morning, and I hadn't slept a blink all night. I didn't know what to expect, I had never been in this position before.

I was so scared. I kept thinking back to our last encounter and kept telling myself that it wasn't my last moment with Leo. I kept trying to convince myself that he was okay and just got skimmed on the arm by the bullet. Deep down, I knew that wasn't true. I knew that there was a possibility that maybe our moment at the airport would be the last time I ever get to see Leo, feel his warmth, feel his love.

Every time my mind went down that route, I had to force myself to think of more positive outcomes.

I noticed the seatbelt sign came on, but I didn't have to worry about it considering I hadn't moved from my position right by the window at all during the flight. I could feel the worried looks drilling into the side of my head by my parents, but they had no reason to be worried about me. I wasn't the one that was shot.

The necklace around my neck was the only thing that provided me comfort during the flight. I clung to it with every ounce of strength I had left in me. As long as I had the necklace, I had him.

_____

The plane finally landed while my anxiety rose. I didn't know what to expect, especially when we finally got to the hospital, they took him to.

The bland furniture of the waiting room mixed with the smell of sanitation all made me sick to my stomach. My whole body felt like it was shaking and cold. My mom gave me one of my hoodies when we got off the plane, and I was thankful for the little warmth it offered me.

The women at the front desk led us to a private waiting room where Leo's parents were sitting and waiting. As soon as I saw them, my heart broke even more. Sofia's eyes were red and puffy, she looked like she hadn't gotten much sleep either. Steven was comforting his wife, but he looked worried as well.

"Sofia, Steven," My mom said softly to let them know we had arrived. Both of their heads snapped over to us before Sofia motioned for us to come into the room and sit.

I sat down across from Leo's parents while my parents rushed to the aid of Sofia and Steven. I didn't know what to do. I doubt there was anything I could do that would offer them any sort of comfort in this awful time of waiting.