prologue

I'm convinced there's no finer place in the universe than between a woman's thighs. Which is why I won't let anything ruin this moment between Eliza and me. 

Her door slams shut behind us and I spend approximately one second giving her flat a courtesy glance – she has a bright orange bed duvet and turquoise throw pillows, her windows are open, letting in the light and heat from the street outside. There are voices echoing up from the street but in here we're blessedly alone.

"Nice place," I comment, as she wraps her arms around my neck, pulling me into her warmth.

A smirk steals over my mouth. I have her right where I want her. I push her up against the door, assisting her in wrapping her legs around me as I grind up into her.

Fuck.

My lips glance across the underside of her jaw, an edge of heat and friction, and she moans at the sensation.

"Yes," she gasps, her hands pressing me tighter against her.

I can feel something vibrating between us, and Eliza stops moving abruptly, looking at me in confusion, if not slightly perturbed. "Why is your dick vibrating?"

I laugh. "It's not my dick honey, it's my phone."

"Oh."

"Hang on a sec, I'll get it out." I place her back on the ground temporarily, fishing into my jeans pocket for my phone. I have every intention of ignoring the call, as the only person who has called me while I've been away is my father. And I've been sending all his calls to voicemail.

To say I left on bad terms is an understatement. I can't even look at him without being sick to the core. What he did was unforgivable...

But as I take out my phone, I see a name on the screen that has me hesitating. Rachel. I can count on one hand the number of times she has called me.

Actually, I don't even need a hand, because I'm pretty sure this is the first. 

I think the only reason her number is already on my phone is a result of my secretary, who programmed in all important company numbers, of which - to my annoyance - Rachel is undoubtedly one.

"I need to take this," I tell Eliza, opening her door and stepping out into the apartment hallway as I accept the call.

"Rachel?" I say into the phone. It's not every day you receive a call from your arch-rival.

"Jon," her decadent voice says my name in a no-nonsense tone. "You need to come home."

I bristle at her demand. 

But then she tells me why and I have to reach a hand out to the wall to stop myself from swaying. My stomach drops to my feet and then plummets through the floor. My heart is beating too fast, too slow, and the edges of the hallway seem to tilt.

When she hangs up, I stare wordlessly at the phone in my hand. Shock renders the quality of my surroundings; everything feels tranquil, muffled like I'm swimming underwater. Inside, I feel like raging, throwing my phone across the other side of the wall – the selfish bastard.

I book the first flight home.

💍

a/n: Thanks for reading the prologue to 'Silva and the Stars'! The next chapter is already up. I'd be so grateful for any feedback you have so feel free to vote and comment your thoughts.